Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-RW Drive freaks out for no reason

• Please log in to reply

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hi!
I'll be on the Internet or in a program and my CD-RW drive starts blinking like it's burning a CD (nothing in it), then my computer will freeze up and reboot itself. Other times it'll do it for a few minutes and the computer will freeze up then it'll just stop and my computer "unfreezes". It just does it randomly and I have no clue what's wrong with it. It's really annoying. I don't know what information you need to know but it's a Compaq Presario with ME. It's about 4 years old. I'm glad I use my other system mainly (only a year old with XP) because this one is driving me crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if I need a new drive, but I'm not investing anything on this computer. :tazz:

Thank you!
Michelle ;)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Michelle its Rick from the GTG team,

Try killing off all unneeded programs by ctrl/alt/delete especially incd if you have that running and see if it helps, if it does we then have a idea that its software related and then try and narrow it down to witch one.

Does the drive work normally when you use it? Try playing a music cd for awhile to see if awhell breaks loose. If it acts erratic when playing a cd then I would say the drive is bad.

You could also disconnect the power and ide cable from it and see if problems continue if it stops I would say bad drive.

Rick

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Thanks for the reply!
I have minimal programs running because my computer was running sooo slow - incd isn't one of them.

I haven't tried playing anything since it started doing this, but I'll try it and see how it goes :tazz:

Michelle