Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows virtual memory too low.

• Please log in to reply

nushxx

nushxx

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey there, and thanks in advance. while running such applications as firefox, itunes and photoshop, i have received an error in my system tray stating "Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low
Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help."

i have run these processes for months and have never received an error before but i recently defragmented my hard drive and after that, the following has happened. i have more than 40 gigs of free space on my only partition. i do believe the cause of this is the defragmenting of my hard drive. i have gone over many help sites already and done what they have said, but have had no luck so far. looking in my task manager, i noticed all memory useage for my applications are as per normal, but when using windows live messenger, this is what i see for virtual memory size.

http://img180.images...hlblahvm8gq.png

any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Edited by nushxx, 20 January 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try re-installing msn messenger

Click start

Right click My Computer

Click properties

Click advanced

Click settings for performance

Click advanced

Click change for virtual memory

Put the dot in system managed

Click set

Click OK

Reboot

nushxx

nushxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey thanks for the reply. i've tried reinstalling messenger to no success. i just did what you told me to do and have not had it come up yet. could this be a memory leak in messenger?. and why did defragmentation enable this to occur? =/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Defrag is unlikely to cause it, though the amount of memory allocated to Live messenger is collosal

Is it still using that with system managed memory

nushxx

nushxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hmm yeah, but it's after i did that defrag, that its been acting up. yep, the VM size of messenger is currently at 1,573,760K. thanks for your help.

nushxx

nushxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ARGH. the alert came up again, this time when i only had firefox, msn and limewire open. i don't understand why this is happening now, after all these months. and just then firefox suddenly closed and i got this "Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." everything but limewire decided to close on me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The HJT Log is here now

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=886767

You will get an e-mail when there is a reply

nushxx

nushxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay, thankyou very much for your help keith :whistling:. i have posted a link to this thread on the following you posted in order for the readers to get a better understanding. thanks again for your help.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
the malware forum is very busy at this time so it might take a long time for you to get a reply.

nushxx

nushxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok thanks, but im not sure if malware has anything at all to do with this problem, and i believe this forum to be of much more help. here is another screenshot whilst using live messenger

http://img209.images...5207/ahh6bu.png

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Most of your Comitt Charges are almost gone. This is probably the reason why you are getting these error messages.

Try and get cleaned up and we'll go from there.