Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need some help here guys

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I having problems deciding what cpu to get. My computer guy who makes my computer is dead on having me get the AMD fx-57 for my new computer. I am or was prety dead on getting the intel 6600 duo. My computer guy thinks there is no need for me to get a dual core. I game a lot and burn dvd's like a mad man. What do you guys think. I think that he wants me to used a out dated cpu????? What ya guys think about the amd fx-57. Would it be good idea to use it or is my budie just a crazy AMD freak. I am just scared that I might be buliding a worthless dinosaure. I have a 3800+ amd now in the computer I am on now.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
The E6600 is a far superior CPU to the FX-57 in pretty much every way possible. Having dual cores won't necessarily help you much in gaming, yet, but it makes burning media MUCH faster. Here is a link with some CPU benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech...d...?i=2795&p=8

As you can see, the E6600 beats the FX-62 in pretty much every application, they didn't even bother comparing the FX-57. I think, yes, your friend is what people like to call an AMD fanboi.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Double post.

Edited by kidnova, 20 January 2007 - 11:59 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
He is a AMD fanboy!
There is absoluty not competition between AMD and Intel CPU's at the moment, that is when your comparing the equivalent Intel to the equivalent AMD processor. At this point in time, it's really hard to recommend a AMD processor, unless your building on the really low end. the 6600 is a really good processor, you shouldn't be disappointed.

The only reason why he says single core will be better then dual core, is because for games in the most part they are only single threaded, meaning can only use one core. Also in the most part (unless you overclock) the dual cores have a lower clock speed. But games are going to be multithreaded in the coming future so there is now no reason at all to buy a single core CPU.
James

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60, My buddy just got this processor and it is incredibly fast. If you can afford it I would go for either this processor or an Intel Core 2 duo. But after benchmarking my buddies computer I was amazed at how fast it was. Hope that helps ya out in making a decision.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Its also 100$ more then the E6600 (in CND funds anyways). Intel processors overclock much easier and you could very easily exceed this processor and anny other one on the market currently by overclocking. However you taking risks by doing so. Even at stock the E6600 beat the FX-60 in the grand majority of the benchmarks.
Intel is getting so far ahead of AMD is scary, i hope AMD keeps up, because they are taking hits left and right, right now. O well they'll come back some time late this year or next year....I hope (the better the competition, the lower the prices). :whistling:
James
P.S. The price/performance ratio of the FX-60 isn't very good either.

Edited by james_8970, 20 January 2007 - 03:59 PM.