Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What some good power s. to run a nividia 8800

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey guys I want to no about getting a new power suply to run a 8800 nividia video card. I was thinking about getting a corsair 620 watt or a silverstone 750 watt. I think I read reviews on these two and people gave them great rateings and they said they were running a 8800 nividia. I thought ya need a 1000 watt power supply to run a 8800??? What do you guys think about these 2 power s. ?? Would they be strong enough or would it be stupid to try these 2 out. any sugestions thank you.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well my opinion would be to get a 1000 watt psu. Yes I know it will be much more expensive than the other 2 you suggested, but if you're like me you may be file serving like crazy. I have 4 harddrives and they take a bunch of power to run so I would go big so later on you won't have to reupgrade your psu.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Either of those PSU you are looking at will work fine with a single 8800 card. I would recommend going with the 750W if you are considering going SLI in the future. Here is a look at the power consumption for the current 8800 cards:
http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=2873&p=7

As you can see, under full load they tend to pull around 280 Watts of power which would leave plenty of juice for the rest of your components.