Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant get laptop to show anything on screen

• Please log in to reply

madmax33333

madmax33333

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi my girls laptop is playing up this is the problem you can turn the laptop on and windows logo appears and everything seems ok then the desktop picture she has appears but then nothing no short cut icons just the desk top pix ??? and i get a message saying this with a red cross Explorer.exe unable to locate compenent This application has failed to start because browseui.dll was not found re-installing the application may fix so how can i fix this laptop i have a very un happy girl :blink: :whistling:

cheers paul

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you run the computer in safe mode? If you can, run it in safe mode with networking, download and install the missing dll from this site.

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
no wont let you run in safe mode just get black screen with nothing ???

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have an XP installation disk? If you do, could run it to recovery console?

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
yes have xp disk can you guide me step by step as im not very good with pcs :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Insert the disk into the cd (or dvd) drive in your computer. Boot up. A blue setup screen should show up. If it doesn't (the computer tries to load windows as usual) enter the bios (If you don't know how to do this follow the instructions on the first page that shows after bootup about how to enter setup). While in the bios look for boot sequence and make your cd drive the first boot device. The procesure can vary somewhat between different types of bios.

After reaching the setup blue screen the computer will load many drivers eventually showing a screen where three options are offered. One of them will ask you to press R to enter recovery console. Type R then Enter. You will be asked now to specify the windows installation that you want to repair. Type 1 and then Enter. Now you will be prompted for a password. If there is no password just press Enter. Type the password and press Enter if there is one. Now you will enter a black, dos-like screen and a prompt folowed by <windows>. Now type:

copy x:windows\system32\browseui.dll c:windows\system32

Please Note: X should be replaced by the letter of your cd drive. If you have only one partition on your hard disk it will usually be d or e. Please note the spaces before x: and before c :

press Enter. One file should be copied. Reboot and see if it workes.

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi trying that but keep getting either access is denied or the system cannot find the file specified ???? what im i doing wrong ive had to guess at what my hard drive is ive put in D, E instaed of the x :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think we would be better off performing XP repair is described here. Please follow the instructions carefully. After the repair you will have to re-download all windows updates.

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
trying that ill come back to you thanks :whistling:

madmax33333

madmax33333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
sorted many thanks i have again one happy girl :whistling: :blink: :help: