Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Compatibility Question

• Please log in to reply

coop23

coop23

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have a compaq presario s3300nx desktop..RAM in it is PC2100 512MB..want to upgrade ram...should i add RAM of the same PC2100 OR if i went to PC2700 or PC3200 would that cause issues with the current RAM that already in the computer???? Would PC2700 cause issues and cause the system to fail with a dual core PC2100 already in system? IF i could get any help on this that would be great

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The thing is that it may work and it may not. It depends on when your chipset was made by Via. The early chipsets could only support the PC2100 memory. Later chipswets supported the 2700 memory along with the 2100. A year later PC2100 memory waqs history as AMD and Intel moved on to higher bus speeds which caused the PC2100 memory to be obselete. All you can do is try the memory, If it don't work then exchange it for 2100 memory( if your buying from a store).

I have a Nforce 2 motherboard that can't run PC3200 memory and can only run PC2700. I know because i tred it and the computer wouldnt even boot. Reinstalled the 2700 memory and the computer runs fine. Via chipsets ar a bit more tolerant but i have had one that would not run 2700 memory at all.

SRX660

coop23

coop23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
just notcied that some websites were giving me conflicting info and said several pc2100 pc2700 pc3200 were compatible and the one said pc2100 just didn't know if there would be problems if it worked if the ram wasn't the same as what was already on the motherboard