Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sometimes doesn't detect new hardware

• Please log in to reply

davidle

davidle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i got a problem with my laptop Dell inspiron 5100...sometimes my laptop doesn't detec new USB plug-in hardware (like digital camare, or mp3 player) , but it can detect USB memory stick. Sometimes, the laptop got frozen..
please help me!!

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Always start at the simplest solution and work your way up, so:

1. Visit the vendor web sites for support related issues for their hardware

2. Ensure hardware drivers are up-to-date

3. If some hardware works without probs, and some doesn't - as a last resort, you may have to consider there's a problem with your USB - hardware/software.

4. Right-click 'My Computer' -- Properties -- Hardware Tab -- Device Manager

Any probs with USB controllers - bottom of list, click on the + symbol to expand. If you see question marks or exclamation marks, the drivers are not installed or you may have an IRQ conflict.

5. If the problem is hardware - don't panic, there's no need to buy a new computer or main board - your laptop probably has two PCMCIA 'credit card' slots. Assuming you've got an empty one, purchase a PCMCIA USB card and your back in action.

daveB - LinuxWannabee :tazz: