Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Cores for beginners

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Crossing my fingers here that this isn't true. I really hope it's released during the launch of vista as well. But this is just adding to my fear. Also Maximum PC said that ATI wasn't planning to release the product surrounding the vista launch(they said this during a short interview). And I read a rumor somewhere else that AMD won't let ATI release it till the have a large amount of them so they don't have a paper launch.
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4510
March seems a little late for me. It better be a [bleep] wipin card, because this is where I think I'm putting my money. Have to see benchmarks first.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2007 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
As far as the Core Duo thing, I was just cutting it back, did not think about the confusion, substitute Core 2 Duo for all of those Core Duo references in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion there. I understand that the Dell systems are overpriced. I was just thinking that even if I was going ot build a system, I would love to build one much like that one. That is all. I realize I could build one cheaper than over 5 grand.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could buy a cheaper and better one from one of the custom build houses, XPS systems are priced alongside voodoo and armari and those guys make the best systems money can buy.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Well, one day, when money is not as tight as it is now, I might be able to look into that. As for now, I will just continue using the faithful system that has served me well for the past year or two.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
On the video card topic, the new ati card, the x2800 is supposed to launch at 512mb gddr4, 800/1800 clocks respectively, and the xtx is rumoured to be 512, or 1gb at 900/2050 clocks respective. On the note of XPS and voodoo, i disagree, their systems are highly over priced, and the way they are built tends to make it hard for anyone but them to upgrade.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Lets hope it launches soon, at the latest, Febuary 11, when i get back :whistling:
Hopefully the march 8 or 9th rumor turns out to be false.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 January 2007 - 05:54 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
release date set for march 11

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
double post sorry

Edited by Dan1887, 25 January 2007 - 05:59 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Link?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
at work right now will link when i get home, google ati x2xxx series release

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://reference.techpowerup.com/R600
If this is true....HOLY CRAP!
2x 6 pin connectors.......200-220W consumption....!!!!! 12 inches long! isn't the GTX 10 inches......holy cripes, how will that even fit into cases. Hard drives are going to have to be moved for more space and cases modified.
Sounds like the cards coolers are going to sound like a vacuum.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 January 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
yeah they wont be that long, but the coolers will be huge, owing the 800/1800 and 900/2050 clock speeds, hopefuly ati will take a page from bfg and make a waterblocked card ready to be hooked up to a watercooling kit

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya i wish i was ready for water cooling, but at the moment I'm taking the plunge for a new system (when I get back) and since it's an extra 200-500$ its out of the question. Also i don't like the risk, yet i know if you take the right precautions you won't have problems. But I think within 2 years, water cooling may be the only way to go for GPU since wattages continue to leap to record highs. To bad there isn't pressure to lower the power requirements. However we wouldn't see the leap in performance that we are seeing right now. However i was just reading a bunch of articles and from what i hear they drooped the card with the water block. For the moment anyways, hopefully they'll reconsider for future designs. But I won't be buying a GPU for a while after I buy this one.......I hope.
James

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The best water cooling option i have seen yet was a pre-set up one that came with a thermaltake armor case and the 1000 watt thermaltake psu for 389, i am considering making the leap, but not sure yet