Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp won't install on new computer

• Please log in to reply

Badthings

Badthings

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings-
I am having trouble intalling windows xp on am fresh new computer. I got bios just fine, but when I boot the windows cd it freezes up at 52% while copying setup files every time. I have deleted the partition, created and formatted each time.I have installed the SATA drivers from the MB floppy when it says to. This is a new replacement CD from newegg when the first one did the same thing. Is this some kind of hardware conflict? please help.
specs-

amd athlon 64 2.2ghz 3700+
MB-dfi lanparty UT nf4 SLI expert
GE force 7300 GT 256 mb video card PCIe
HD-seagate 250 mb SATA
Corsair 1gb DDR RAM
Daemon case w/ atx 450w ps
cd rom
floppy drive

I've tried a different video card, cd rom combos. I have also tried new cables. Help!

Edited by Badthings, 20 January 2007 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well depending on your home setup, if you have another computer available then this would be my suggestion.

**Notice: For some computers this doesn't work, not sure why. But you can give it a try and if it doesn't then you only lost about 15min.**

Take the harddrive that you want to have xp on and put it into another computer, making sure to unplug that computers hd. After doing that, install winxp and once it finishes doing the installation and everything, shutdown the computer and take the hd out. Put the hd back into your computer boot it up and see if it works.

I used to do this all the time to my harddrive whenever winxp failed, but for some reason depending on the computer it doesn't work sometimes. Tried it on one of my buddies and it didn't work but it worked everytime on mine....peculiar.

Anyways that would be my suggestion :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If there are too many differences between the motherboards a XP install will always fail in another computer.

Since you have a floppy drive i would suggest to instead try the "XP boot floppy disk set" to install XP. I had a similar problem with a computer that would not install from the CD. Making a set of boot floppys and using them did the trick. I really think it was because the boot floppys install a bunch of drivers the computer may need to finish the job.

By the way i had to make 2 sets of disks from the same file as i used old floppys and the 3rd one of the first disk set failed. The second set of disks worked perfect.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 20 January 2007 - 06:44 PM.