Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply

barb266

barb266

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: Hi! I am happy to say I am a "Geeks To Go" fan. A member of your staff has been helping me for the past week or so and I am evens happier to say I am Malware FREE. However, I still have a very sluggish computer, very slow on startup and tends to freeze often, forcing me to manually turn it off. I am a novice w/computers, but I know this cannot be good. My "GTG Mentor" suggested I post here to see if anyone can help me. I will posty my system info from my HP System Diagnostic Log. Thanks in advance, Barb

Attached Files

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey whats up barb!

Glad you like the site...we all dedicate our time to help others and we all enjoy it!

Ok lets see

Have you ran disk clean up/ defragged?

If so to no avail, we will run a chkdsk.

Click Start
Click Run
Type "cmd" (no quotes)
Type "chkdsk /f /r" (no quotes)
It will say the file system is locked and will require a reboot. Type Y and reboot the PC.

If this does not help, try a sfc /scannow.

Click Start
Click Run
type "cmd"
type "sfc /scannow

Make sure you have the cd for this so you can replace corrupted or missing DLL files.

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: I love your handle! I deal with your type at work every day! lol! O.K. down to business, I did do disk clean up/defrag a couple of weeks ago and again on 1-17-07. I am attaching defrag log from 1-17. I ran chkdsk again tonight and it showed clean. Would you like for me to run clean up/defrag again? Also, (novice I am) I was unsure if you wanted me to run sfc/scannow tonight too? Thanks, Barb

Attached Files

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
LOL, did you get this post confused with the malware post i seen earlier?

well try the sfc /scannow, most likely when you had malware, it corrupted some files.

barb266

barb266

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:blink: Last laugh's on me. Either my cd drive (probably the root to all my problems) is not reading the cd or I have the wrong cd. I will get w/my brother tomorrow and make sure I have the right cd. When I ran sfc/scannow it gave me the msg that it was the wrong cd or drive may be corrupted (probably - I installed it). So show me out of service for tonight. Thanks for your time, I will get back to you. Barb :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Keep me posted.. I will be here :whistling: