Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 computer network help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dvea

dvea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I currently have 2 PC's networked direvcly together via an ethernet crossover cable. One computer is hooked up directly to a cable modem allowing both computers to access the internet. Both computers also share a printer.

Now for the new part. I have a 3rd computer that I want to hook up to the network. I bought a wireless router and a wireless PCI adapter for the 3rd PC. How do I tie all 3 computers togetther? The crossover ethernet connections has me confused. Do I have to lose that and hook the first tow original pc's in separately with standard ethernet cables? Then waht about my printer CAnon i 850. How can I have the other pc's print to that printer. It is USB port only, no ethernet connection. I cant link it to the router, or can I?

Help! me

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
What ya need to do is put the crossover cable aside now that you have the new router. Take computer A, B, and C and use standard ethernet cables on them, all plugging into the router.

Adding Internet:
Now depending on what kind of router you went out and bought, it will be able to plug the internet directly into the router or you will have to work around it.

Option 1:
Has an internet port in router, goodie the easiest way simply take an ethernet uplink cable and plug it into your cable modem and router.

Option 2:
From your definition sounds like one computer has more than one nic card(2 lan cards). So plug the internet into the compA port A and the compA portB into the router. Then share the internet connection and you're good to go, the downside of this setup is that compA has to always be on for the others to access the internet.

Hope that helps ya out, make sure to read up on your routers manual and you should be able to figure it out :whistling:

**Oops sry forgot about the printer, for it simply plug it into whichever computer will be on most of the time, such as compA. Then as long as compA is plugged into the router and the printer is shared then you will be able use the printer across the network.

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 21 January 2007 - 06:00 AM.

dvea

dvea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I thought. I just needed someone to confirm. The router I bought does have an internet port, so I can take the easy option you mentioned.