Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive on laptop very slow

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have an "HP Special Edition L2000" laptop, and the DVD drive included is the "TSSTCorp TS-L532R"

When I play videos directly from a DVD, very often they stop for a second, like it hasn't quite loaded yet (similar to a streaming video you don't let load before playing). Also when I transfer files from the DVD, it seems to take an aweful long time. An almost full DVD takes up tp an hour and a half to transfer onto the hard drive.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Any help?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
what speed does it say? 8x? etc

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The next time your copying with that drive, I would bring up task manager and check the cpu and memory useage. I would also check to see how much virtual memory you have:

start>control panel>system>advanced>performance>settings >advanced

I'm wondering if DMA should be activated for that drive. I checked my Gateway laptop and DMA is activated for both IDE chanels. To check it:

control panel>system>hardware>device manager

expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

right click on the Primary and Secondary IDE chanels>advanced settings

If PIO is selected, you might want to try DMA and see if it makes a difference.

I would also update all of the drivers.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hmm, my CPU usage is at 100% when copying...
I have 1344MB Virtual Memory

And the only DMA options it gives me is "DMA if available" which it was already set to.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Something else is utilizing that cpu I would think. If it were me I would do a thorough sweep for virus's and spyware. SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor are the two best out there. I've been using SpySweeper for a few years now and highly reccomend it. At $29.95, it's a bargain. Much better than the free ones. I like free Avast for virus problems. You could also follow the anti-spyware directions on this website. First I would run CleanUp to get rid of junk files:

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

You might want to shut down utilities in the lower right corner when copying. Right click on an icon and select shutdown. If it's taking that long I would shut down the anti-virus program and anti-spyware program. If your running any Norton or McAfee program, that could be your problem. I usually recomend getting rid of Noron and McAfee programs.

When's the last time you ran the Defragmentor?

You might want to run MSCONFIG to prevent certain programs from starting up:

start>run> type 'msconfig'>startup

by unchecking something it won't start the next time you boot up. I usually keep anti-virus, anti-spyware, ups related stuff. But stuff like quicktime and update manager for Adobe can be unchecked. If your not sure what something is, do a search on google for it or post it here and we'll tell you if you can uncheck it.

How much RAM do you have? What size CPU?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I completely forgot....to see whats using the cpu (when copying), goto Task Manager>processes and click on cpu once or twice. It'll jump around so watch it for awhile.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
My system is clean, I did a sweep and ran my virus scanner. Maybe defragmenting the drive might help a bit...

Also, the tasks that take up the most CPU when copying are explorer.exe and, sometimes ati2evxx.exe pops up in the high CPU usage, which I believe is my graphics driver... which makes NO sence to me.

My basic specs are:
1.6GHz AMD Turion 64
896MB RAM (the box said 1GB...)

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Have you check for any Updated drivers for your Video Card..?

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I just checked now, I can't find a driver for it at all. I am pretty sure I have the latest version though...

it's a ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200M, driver version 6.14.10.6539

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
how much free space and what percentage of free space do you have on the hardrive?

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
currently 2.5GB out of 75GB is free.

But, when I started transfering data onto the laptop Via DVD, I had 30GB free. The problem was there at that time as well.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's an interesting speed test by Nero. I tried the very top one. It will display the speed of your drive. You'll need a winzip utility to unzip it. Post back here if you have any problems with unzipping it:

http://www.cdspeed20...k=download.html

I'm going to watch '24' will post back about that free space.....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
So it looks like free space is not an issue. Did you try that speed test? I tried 4.7.0.0 and ran it briefly. It seems to work and display the speed of the drive.

I'm pretty sure I upgraded the firmware of my DVD drive a few years ago. You might want to search on your drive model + firmware download. I'll see if I can find it....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm wondering if deleting the upper and lower filters in the Registry would help in this situation. Anyone out there know?