Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with missing or corrupt DLL files

• Please log in to reply

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi all, I just bought a new computer and the people at the place we bought it installed windows and all the drivers before we left, now, when i set it up at home last night i tried to download incredimail (which i had on my last computer with the XP operating system) but it keeps cutting out during the install saying that there are missing or corupt DLL files. Does anyone know how to fix this.

I should also tell you i did try to do a reinstall of windows using the update option and it didn't make any difference, I still get the same message

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well got a couple things you can do, depending on how you backed it up, the setup may be corrupt, you usually know when it is.

Now if you know the setup file is good then go to google type in the name of the dll that you need and presto. You can download the dll files that are messed up and either replace or add them to your windows. The place to put the dll files C:/Windows/System32/

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
How do I know which file is missing or messed up, it doesn't give me a specific file, it just says that a file is missing or corrupt

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Run sfc /scannow

Click Start
Click Run
Type "cmd" (no quotes please)
At the command box, type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)

This will fix corrupted dll files or put in missing ones. It most likely will ask for the XP CD, so have it on hand.

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok I tried what you said to do

Click Start
Click Run
Type "cmd" (no quotes please)
At the command box, type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)

the box popped up with insert Windows XP professional, I have Home Edition so it wouldn't continue. Is there another command for Home Edition

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did you try putting in the disc anyway?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hello! :whistling:

Microsoft has instructions on fixing that here.

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes i did put the disc in anyway but it just kept bringing up the screen saying insert XP professional disc, it wouldn't accept it. I will have a look at the link that Pi rules has posted and let you know if it works or not

Thanks for all your suggestions