Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New comp... Serious problems

• Please log in to reply

13thWhiteboy

13thWhiteboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again...
http://www.msicomput...odel=K8N_SLI-FI

Yeah Im still having problems, after my 5th "Nuke and pave"! My computer is made up of a MSI K8N SLI (MS - 7185) motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64x2 processor, and a MSI NX700GT-VT2D series video card. My RAM is compatiable. I've looked all over the internet for possialbe problems and have even talked to Microsoft to see if maybe it was windows. All my drivers are installed, my BIOS is up to date and I have all the updates avaliable via windows update. The strange thing is the memory(DDR400) isnt set up properly but its the only way it will work. According to the manual it should be set up side by side(green/purple)... but it only works if I set them apart(purple/purple). If I set them up any other way I either get only 1GB of ram, or no ram at all. I think Ive run it down to a hardware problem... but Im no computer tech. thats why Im making one last effort to save this thing before I take it back...

Edited by 13thWhiteboy, 21 January 2007 - 04:28 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The Ram should be installed in the same color slots because of Dual Channel memory. So the way you have it set up (both sticks in the purple slots) is the correct way to have the memory installed. I do not see any problem here with your computer other then what you thought was incorrect with the memory, which actually is correct and fine.

Fenor