Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering lost video from Pioneer Dvd Hdd recorder

• Please log in to reply

aussiemum

aussiemum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I hope someone can help me. :whistling:

I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder with 120g hard drive - DVR 720h. We use it to record TV shows and also I had transferred several hours of home video of our children, with the intention of using it to edit then burn onto dvd.

A few days ago, the hard drive reported it had errors and it said to reinitialize, which I didn't do as it would wipe the drive clean. I tried to copy the home movies to dvd but it wouldn't, then it showed the hard drive as empty.

The next morning I switched it on, and it worked as normal, except the hard drive showed only a few hours of recordings, with most of the home videos gone.

I know they would be still there physically, as it has not been written over or formatted.

It is working normally now, but of course I haven't recorded any more. The home movies are very precious to me and I was hoping to maybe transfer the contents onto a small hard drive that I can then install into my computer. I looked on the Internet forums, hoping to find it would be a simple procedure, but was dismayed to find that the DVD hard drive is set up in LInux, and so won't be visible to a Windows computer.

A friend is now installing Linux onto a spare computer. Can anyone recommend any data recovery software that may work? I did find a thread in another forum, where someone had hooked up the hardrive to a linux computer, but said the contents were encrypted/extremely fragmented.

I am really hoping someone can help..

Many Thanks
Aussiemum

Advertisements