Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI KT3 Ultra 2 wrongly fitted with XP 2600 Thoroughbred 266Mhz!

• Please log in to reply

bada55

bada55

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have just discovered that the XP 2600 is a Thoroughbred 2.16Ghz with FSB of 266Mhz and should have been the 333Mhz FSB Barton Core model.

I have two questions really.

1) My son needs an upgrade for his MB and I ordered him a XP 2600 Barton by mistake as his only takes a maximum XP 2600 with 266Mhz FSB. Now just by chance I downloaded a tool for my PC that shows my KT3 Ultra2 is using the CPU my son needs but was not the CPU I was told I had ordered a few years back. So basically I had fitted the Thoroughbred 266Mhz to my KT3 333Mhz MB! I am using 333 Mhz DDR ram 2700.

So do I do the obvious and give him my CPU and fit the Barton model into my PC?

2) My Motherboard has never had the USB2 function working and always worked on USB1.1

Can I assume that the wrong processor had caused this to happen or is it a MBoard fault I will need to live with.

I have the latest (I think...AMINT - 10 Version 1 also says version 7T) Bios installed and running XP Pro with Service pack 2 and all updates.

I would appreciate any help with all or part of this problem thank you :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You should be able to switch CPU's . USB has nothing to do with the CPU, but it does use the motherboard chipset to control the usb. Using the make and model of the MB you can see if there is any updates for USB 2.0. I have a 2600 barton 333 on a gigabyte MB that i had to upgrade the chipset drivers to get usb2.0 . I also have a standard amd 2400 on a MSI mb and i don't really see any difference in the speed between it and the barton 2600.

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK thanks for that....I will fit them today hopefully and report back...

I didn't know where to obtain a new XP2600 so I got a second hand one from eBay...It is supplied from a PC Supplies company so I would hope they know what they are supplying.

Thanks again for your help...

Ps..I did require an update for the chipset drivers but stil have no usb2..
The only thing that I can think may lead to usb2 not working would be if I have connected one of the external usb2 sockets incorrectly or if they are not functioning right may cause the usb2 functionality to not work? Just a stab in the dark really :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only real difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is the software drivers. Have you applied the VIA USB 2.0 patch to your system?

http://www.msi.com.t...v...age=3&num=0

The second one down is the patch.

For your information

http://www.starmicro...ail.aspx?ID=575

http://www.starmicro...ail.aspx?ID=539

Funny how the 266 bus cpu is over double the price.

You need to save these link's to your favorites and use them when you need to find hardware and/or the rating for a internet company. The rating company i use quite often since i have my standard set at 7/10 or i don't buy from that company.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

http://www.resellerr...tory.pl?id=3802

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi again....No I haven't used that patch so will do so in a minute...

I have just removed my XP2600 Thoroughbred and replaced it with the supposed XP2600 Barton...Well it certainly is a Barton core but it isn't a XP2600 but a XP2500! ...You would think they could label their stock correctly wouldn't you!?
I know the XP2500 is a good CPU for overclocking (not that I ever bother with that) so I would think I may as well keep it and not complain as it's working fine and stable? Let me know if I should ask for some sort of refund if this cpu is worth less please.

Thanks once again and now I will try that patch out and check out your other suggestions plus fit my old cpu to my sons pc:)

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ps...It says if using service pack 1 for that patch and I'm running service pack 2.....I tried it just in case and the file is on my desktop. I tried opening it and it produced 2 more files on the desktop. One says it is a security catalog file and the other a contents file. Neither shows how to install it. Any ideas?

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Pps....the info I get in Device manager regarding usb is....

VIA revision 5 or later USB universal host controller (3 lines saying the same)

Apart from some devices linked via usb that are shown there is also 2 lines saying ...NEC PCI to USB open host controller

Does any of that make sense to you? I would imagine the fact nothing says USB2 is why I am not getting it?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
My Athlon 2400 says

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller
Standard openHCD USB host controller
Standard openHCD USB host controller
USB root hub
USB root hub
USB root hub

This is with a pair of back siamesed usb ports and a pair of separate USB front ports. Notice where it says "ENHANCED". That is what it says if you have USB 2.0. I think the Via patch will fix this. I had the same problem on a Intel 2.4 system with the via chipsets. That one i installed the drivers for USB 2.0 from a CD included with the motherboard.

I really dont think it matters if its SR1 or SR2 for XP, They probably still don't have the correct drivers for the VIA chipset USB 2.0.

Here is another USB 2.0 drivers set from VIA.

http://www.viaarena....mp;SubCatID=122

If you have the 8235/8237 chipset you need this USB 2.0 driver.

http://www.msi.com.t...v...=341&kind=1

I have been reading up on the 4 in 1 drivers and they do not have any USB drivers at all. So, i would discard that idea to correct your problem. But just in case you need to know how to install the drivers.

How Do I Install The Via drivers Correctly?

This is incredibly simple. Download the appropriate driver package into an empty folder( i usually make one inthe C/windows folder and call it "Via"). Run the executable and follow the prompts. For most users select 'Quick install' option and it will not prompt you for which drivers to install/uninstall - it will simply install the correct drivers for your system. For advanced users select 'Normal Install' and manually choose which drivers you want to install/uninstall. Once the drivers are installed, reboot your machine as requested and the drivers are now updated. That's it. There's no trickery required.

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
H again...It was the patch I have no ideas how to install. I dloaded to desktop then opened it. That left me the two files described earlier. Do they need to be inserted into the Via file somehow? Thanks again

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
the easist method is to open up the windows folder in your "C" drive and make a new folder there called Via2.0 then put the drivers in that folder from the patch. Now go read this website to firgure out how to get to the USB drivers in device manager.

http://www.usbman.co...g_for_usb_2.htm

You will right click on your PCI to usb host controller and then click properties. In the window that pops up you can find where your drivers for USB are located and you can update the drivers by telling the computer where the new drivers are. There is a update drivers button in the properties window.

Please save a copy of the old drivers in a different place( my documents) just in case something goes wrong. Your drivers are probably in this folder.

C> Windows>System32>Drivers

They will be named in the properties(right click) window of the "PCI to usb host controller" if you click the drivers tab, then click the drivers details button.

SRX660

Advertisements

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok Now I have problems...Not with mine (I haven't had the time to try the usb2 stuff again yet)....It's my sons pc. I have fitted the XP2600 266Mhz CPU onto the board. That all went well. The board he has is a Biostar M7V1B and using pc2100 ram and I updated to the latest Bios shown on their site. The trouble I have now is it keeps restarting at different places and therefore unstable. I have managed to get into XP a couple of times and checked the CPU and the info software I have says its an Athlon XP2000+ and running at 1.67Ghz so I assume the BIOS is not sorting it out properly? The Award BIOS is not the most user friendly, especially for someone like me, and it is not easy to ascertain if anything needs changing. Should I revert back to my old BIOS and see what happens or would that be a bad thing to do? Should I remove everything from USB ports etc etc so that as litle is running as possible to lessen conflicts in case that is what it is? He has 2 HD on it one using Win 98 and the other XP Home. Funny thing is it appears stable in Win 98 so that's confusing me more :whistling: Any ideas please? ....I should add that his pc is running at about 57 degrees...His XP1600 ran at 60 for years so either the temp reading is wrong or? I was wondering if the XP2600 doesnt like that temp but then it wouldnt function in 98se would it? Grrrr! lol

Edited by bada55, 22 January 2007 - 02:57 PM.

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i should point out that apart from updating the BIOS I have done nothing else to his PC. Do I need to download new drivers because of the new processor maybe or anything else? Grabbing at straws again :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Its probably just that you did not reset the front side bus in the bios. It may be that the multiplier times the bus speed was set different for the barton CPU because it was the wrong cpu for that MB. This athlon 2400 is on a biostar N7 NCD pro MB and i am using it for a standard 2400 and a barton 2600 cpu. Try adjusting the cpu setting to match the cpu and make sure the front side bus is set at 133.

SRX660

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi...Well that all makes sense but for one thing....The Bios is not that user friendly. The Biostar site has a download available for jumpers. Could that be useful? I have heard that some boards need jumpers to be manually changed to alter FSB. This sounds like the download takes care of it? As I said that Bios is not very simple to me so can you run through what I need to look at and check to see if everything is as it should be? I assume you think not much can be wrong then despite it continually restarting? Thanks once again and sorry to be a pain :whistling: Dont forget I am concerned with my sons pc not mine...He had an XP1600 running on it before at about 1.4Ghz with no problems for years. As I said I havent altered anything so I need to check every setting but I will need someone to let me know what a lot of it means as it isn't a Bios I am used to....MSI is simple in comparison. Also I keep getting corrupt MB manual downloads so I cannot even look at a manual, hence the problems.

Edited by bada55, 22 January 2007 - 05:01 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Hopefully you downloaded the vib0919B.exe for the Biostar motherboard. That is the correct BIOS update for athlon 2400and 2600 cpu's. If the bios did not update then you would have problems with a 2600 cpu. It does not know what to do as the original MB bios would only see up to a 2000 cpu.

If you need it i have downloaded the Biostar PDF manual and can send it to you. Actually i have 2 manuals, one just has more info than the other one is a MSI manual of 582K and the other is a Biostar manual of 1.1 MB. I can send them ( or one) to you thru a email is you want. Please message me with a email address. The MSI pdf file(smaller) does have info on the athlon 2400 and 2600 cpu's.

Funny that they have the exact same manual for the most part.

I find the BIOS rather easy to work with. There are only about 5 things you can do in the bios. You can use the arrow keys to navigate around with. left, right, up, or down, its pretty simple. Wherever you move will be highlighted in blue so you can't lose your place. The enter key gets you into the other windows where you can change the settings with the arrow keys. When you move to a line and use the arrow keys to change the setting, you can then hit the enter key to set it to your new setting. The Esc key lets you get out of the windows. If you are not sure of your self, stop what you are doing, get back out of the BIOS WITHOUT SAVING, and ask here and we can tell you if it a correct move to make. The last thing the BIOS will ask you when you are getting out of it is if you want to save the changes. Usually hitting the F10 key says Y( for yes), or it may ask you a second time, to save your settings. Typing in N(for no) means the settings will revert to what they were before. The computer will restart and go back into regular mode and start up in windows.

SRX660