Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

moving back to XP

• Please log in to reply

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Nice advice to gamers: wait a bit unless absolutely necessary, drivers right now are hit and miss.

I agree.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not so much hit and miss, its a hit Nvidia and miss, driver wise for gamers if you have ATI and dont mind waiting a few weeks for full openGL(thankfully not as popular as DX) then you are ok, driver wise its not bad in terms of windows generic drivers are really good they have a driver for everything ive hooked up to it to get it all functional, its a matter of weeks at most that anyone might want to wait maybe a couple of months if you don't play games you are fine or are a casual gamer you are fine.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just an fyi, but Nvidia has drivers out for Vista and they work perfectly fine. I have two 7800GT's SLi'd and they work perfectly in games. Only driver that I couldn't get compatible with vista is the gameport on my audigy 2, but I never use that anyways.

Fenor

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nvidia drivers work but they have been totally panned by reviewers because the performance is so poor and SLI doesnt work all the time.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
DirectX worked for me, barely, but anything OpenGL froze on loading. The beta drivers worked better for crying out loud.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah the Windows drivers were better than the ATI driver i had. With my GFX card i had a CD with it that only had the beta drivers for my card first of i installed them checked my FPS which on ATITool was about 200 then i got the latest ATI drivers and i was getting 400 on it, this was on XP though hopefully ATI will continue to do there mothly update on the drivers making them faster and running more smoothly. If you have got used to have good FPS then you will see the difference, I found that using Vista's aero interface, all the graphics and CS:S made my FPS drop alot but after lowering all the settings it went back upto about 80 (which i get on XP)

Oh and i was thinking that maybe i had a bad download as when i burned RC2 to a disk it took like 5 mins to get to the screen that said "install now". My hard disk proformance was really bad and would lagg because of it in games etc. Is 1GB alright for gaming? I was trying to play BF2 and it wouldnt load properly either my hard drive would keep making the crackling sound and on the game it was just moving every 5 seconds or more.

direct X 10 cards will make a difference though after seeing the specs :blink: . That is if i can save up enough money to buy a Radeon X2000 card. We will be needing higher powered PSUs and to think the worlds trying to save energy :whistling: