Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen during XP reinstall!

• Please log in to reply

Dago

Dago

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This all started when I accidently deleted some crucial files (boot.ini, ntldr, etc). And I really mean ACCIDENTLY! Well I was receiving a ntldr is missing error when I rebooted. So I tried doing a system recovery using my XP CD. I booted from it and went to the DOS prompt (System recovery). I typed the following:

D:

cd i386

copy ntldr c:

copy ntdetect.com c:

exit

so that should have restored the crucial files. Nope...it still isn't letting me get in. It now says I am missing the system32/config/system file or it is corrupt. Well I have given up trying to FIX it so I went through to just reformat the entire HDD and reinstall XP Pro...

So I get to the installation screen and it gets to a certain percentage (Its random every time, sometimes I get to 9% or 37%) and I get a blue screen of death. Mid-way through my installation! One of the errors I get says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and another one says something about IRL or something to that effect. I haven't gotten that one in awhile. How is it I can be getting blue screen errors which seem to be from the OS when I had to FORMAT my HDD to start the installation...

Also a fact to take into consideration...it is on an Alienware laptop. So I can't reseat my RAM or remove it or do any of the other checks that normal computers can do...

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Boot from the XP CD and this time try "deleting" the existing system partition, create new partition, let XP setup format it then see if setup/install will run to completion.

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope. It got to 5% and still the same problem. I also got a different error:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Edited by Dago, 21 January 2007 - 10:24 AM.

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried cleaning the inside the best I could...considering it's a laptop I have limited access to the inside. But still nothing. I tried reformating the quick way and the long way...it always gets 100% through the reformating. It's during the XP install that I get that error...

Could it be my CD drive?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome! :whistling:

The possible errors would be overheating and faulty RAM. Make sure that the notebook (laptop) is propped up and that air can circulate underneath.

Then, download a memory test (two are in my signature below my post) and run them to test your memory. Are any errors found?

Also, what is the model number of the notebook?

Edit: Is a driver listed? It would be a file name, sometimes ending in .sys.

Edited by Pi rules, 21 January 2007 - 10:09 PM.

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
also make sure your XP cd isn't dirty or scratched.. :whistling:

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The CD is in perfect condition. And how do I go about running a memtest if I can't even get into an OS? Thats the dilemma I am having. And if I HAVE bad RAM how can I fix that being I am using an Alienware laptop....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have an XP CD, not a recovery CD, you can use another PC to get memtest or boot and nuke

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Memtest found 0 errors after 2 passes. THen ran autonuke and it finished without a flaw. Reinstalled windows on partition1 (Raw) and it formatted completely. Got to 2% and got the PAGE error I had before...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Memtest has a set of 7 passes, is that 2 lots of 7 passes or just 2 of 7 passes?

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Only 2 passes...even if the memory IS bad...I dont know how I would fix it....I cant seem to find it in the laptop..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which make and model is the laptop?

Dago

Dago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its an Alienware Area-51m I got it like 4 years ago...but its still a really nice laptop...

Well it was.