Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I recently aquired an External Hard Drive (Samsung HD300LD) with just a basic USB aluminium heat-sink casing.

It's been brilliant in terms of storing my stuff etc...

BUT (there's always a but)

...recently it's been making really loud noises, as though it is grinding on something. I took the case off to see if there was anything inside that could be rubbing, but a mixture of not really knowing what I was looking for, and no visible "bad" thing. I put the case back on, and now just put up with the noise...

It only occurs really badly when the drive is turned on, but it's still audible from about 4 feet away. I've stuck it under my desk for now, to get rid of the noise, but basically, I don't want it to break...

Any help?

Tom

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Get your stuff off it, onto your main computer and replace it. Hard Drives that make heavy grinding noises are never a good sign. Most "decent" USB external drives are to a point where you can only hear them when they're on the way out.

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Yeah I know that, I thought that could be the case, but it's only about 6 months old...could it not just be a problem that can be fixed? something has slipped? I have lost no data thus far (touch wood)

Anyone else got any more cost effective ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
More simple solution:

You live in England. You bought a product that has now become faulty. You have twelve months warranty on it never mind what anybody says. Therefore, get your stuff off it and have it replaced.