Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Component Compatability

• Please log in to reply

maya

maya

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.... Just wondering if the person who suggested all these parts to me is right. They said that all these were compatible and offered to build it for me. Are they? and would this be a good computer?

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor

Asus K8V-SE Deluxe Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar WD2500JD 250GB OEM Hard Drive

Asus DVD-E616P1 DVD-ROM

ATI Radeon 9600 XT Video Card

Creative Labs AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM SOUND BLASTER PCI SOUND CARD SB0350

APC (American Power Conversion) Back-UPS ES 725VA 450W with Broadband Protection

Thank you in advance <_<

Advertisements

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
That looks like a neat system!! Good sound Card and video card!! Is it a 256mn 9600xt?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
welcome to geekstogo

The Asus K8V-SE Deluxe is for a athlon 64 processor it will not run the athlon Xp 3000+ processor I'm not sure what they are looking for price but if you gave me some info. on what your going to do with the pc I can gave you some input on what you want for parts.
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
As Tazz said, the motherboard and CPU aren't compatible. I don't see any specs for your RAM (memory)? Most motherboards today have built-in sound, confirm your sound card is required.

maya

maya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Glad I asked :o

Okay.... what I'm trying to get is a computer that will be good for music, large games (i.e. RPG, simulations, etc.), and graphics as I run PSP7 and 8 for large pics and stuff.

I have taught myself pretty much everything else about computers except for actually building them myself... which I should have done already :D I usually fix my own computers but have never upgraded them myself as far as hardware.

In the past I have always let others chose a PC for me and have been disappointed when they didn't run even more simple games very fast. This time, now that I have some money saved up for it, I want to get one that is fast and actually can handle having more than one application running at one time <_<

I thought I would go with someone building it for me.... but as you can see from the list - that didn't turn out so well. So.... maybe with some help and a lot of research I can built it myself? :D

In my current (crappy) computer I have a pretty good hard drive with a lot of music on it that I would like to have as a secondary hard drive on the new computer. I also have a floppy drive that works fine and Ethernet and network card that can be transferred. At least I have put in my own Ethernet and network card so I know I can do that :D

Thank you so much for the quick and helfpful replies :P

Edited by maya, 14 May 2004 - 09:20 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
here is what I would go with on parts.
AMD Athlon Xp 3000+ 333fsb............$149.99 $20.00 rebate
Soyo kt600 dragon ultra platinum...&139.99 $20.00 rebate
Maxtor ata 120g harddrive........$104.99
NES 8x4x12 DVD rw.........$94.99
Speeze socket A cpu fan copper core...$14.99
Corsair 512mb PC3200......$119.99
Just4pc mid tower case 485 ps....$59.99 $10.00rebate
any floppy drive will do say about......$20.00
so your looking at $704.93 - $50.00 in rebates =$654.93
this is the site I got the parts from CLICK HERE?
<_<

maya

maya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Excellent! Thank you so much for the list!

Erm.... does it matter what case you buy? I have heard of people using ones that have windows and other mods to make it cooler inside (I have had trouble with burnouts before)?

Also... read on a site that gamers should go with a 32/12/48x DVD-Rom.... is there really that much of a difference or should I go with the one you suggested?

Oh.... and I have my old computer that I will be ripping apart. An Intel hard drive won't work with Athlon, will it?

Got any suggestions for a place to get a monitor?

Thank you SO MUCH for helping! I will keep you all updated as I get it together <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
if your running the games of the cd rom the faster the better that site link as all the parts you will need and you can pick other if you like and post them back and we can gave you some input on them.
<_<

maya

maya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Would THIS be something good to start with or should I do everything from scratch?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
its not bad but I have a biostar MB and i was not that happy with it.
I would be more to go with this one CLICK HERE
<_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
as tazz recommended parts but i made some modifications for my opinion

AMD Athlon Xp 3000+ 333fsb............$149.99 $20.00 rebate
Soyo kt600 dragon ultra platinum...&139.99 $20.00 rebate
Maxtor ata 120g harddrive........$104.99
NES 8x4x12 DVD rw.........$94.99
Speeze socket A cpu fan copper core...$14.99
Corsair 512mb PC3200......$119.99
Just4pc mid tower case 485 ps....$59.99 $10.00rebate
any floppy drive will do say about......$20.00
so your looking at $704.93 - $50.00 in rebates =$654.93
this is the site I got the parts from HERE

i would upgrade the memory to one of these Memory Site 1 orMemory 2 (even better!)

i think u should be set wit the dvd-rw thats there