Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vid Card issues... I think?

• Please log in to reply

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just built a new system for the primary use of playing FFXI. I used my orignal hard drive but did a fresh install of windows. I updated all my drivers and windows. My pc works fine until I play FFXI. It will randomly reboot usually within the first 15 minutes of play. I turned off the auto restart to force a BSOD to get the error msg. First one I got was for a boot driver failer on a RAID controller that I could not find the driver anywhere for. I don't currently use RAID so I just uninstalled the device and things seemed to work after that. Then once again, but this time it took longer, I got a new BSOD. This time it was a page default error listing the display driver as the cause. I have the newest driver for that. I have looked up my power requirements and I should have a psu that handles all my system componets. I'm not overheating with my card, RAM, or cpu as I had a program running that I was checking the temp.. plus I'd check the cpu temp in BIOS any time it rebooted... My cpu was running between 102 and 104 F, card 120-130 F, and RAM 105-110 F. I aslo ran a RAM test and no errors where found. I am at a lose as what to do and so disappointed as my game seems to be my life and now I can't play it lol.

My sys specs are:
AMD 64 3500 socket 939
ASUS MB A8N32-SLI Deluxe
ASUS Nvidia EN7600GT 256 MB PCI-E vid card
1G RAM two 512kits (4 sticks)
Windows XP Home Ed w/ SP2 and all updates
400w psu
No additional cards the rest is onboard

Help me out if you have any ideas what my problem would be

Thank you

Edited by Trinitie, 21 January 2007 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

No additional cards the rest is onboard

Does this mean you're using on-board sound? Do you have a sound card you can install and try? On-board sound will tax your CPU usage, especially with newer games. I have never had On-board sound work with high intensity games, so all my machines have sound cards. I would borrow a sound card and try it rather than purchase one as it may not solve your problem.

Edited by makai, 22 January 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Trinitie

Trinitie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I found my problem... I had a 512 kit of RAM from my old pc and bought a new 512 kit for this one and just added them. Was the same brand but didn't seem to work well together. Once I took the older RAM out my game stoped crashing. However I'm still having some occasionally issues w/ the quaility so I will try out a sound card. I have one I can borrow just to check it out.

Thanks for the advice :whistling: