Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

POP UPS From OUTERINFO

• Please log in to reply

robbiegee

robbiegee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Done and done!!!

But why did I have to do that last step of the system restore? I also was wandering if I should keep all the things you had me download in a file in case something like this ever happened again?

I greatly appreciate all of your help. You made it very easy to understand and follow.
You have also answered my next question about what you suggest I do next. But I was wandering if any of these programs are free. I use Spy-Bot and I have used a Zone Alarm firewall in the past and was considering to redownloading it for future use.

Once again thanks for all your help Colin, everything is running great.

Rob

Advertisements

rem

rem

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Hey Rob,

Once again thanks for all your help Colin, everything is running great.

My pleasure.

The reason we turned off system restore, then turned it on again is that when you turn off system restore it deletes all previous system restore points. This means that if a system restore point was created automatically by your machine, or you created one manually while infected, if you ever restored your machine back that system restore point anytime in the future you would be restoring the infection too, & we would be back to square one.
Now that we know your machine is clean, it is safe to create a system restore point, so that if you ever want to get your system back to it's present state you know it is free from malware.
For more on system restore points see Here

I think it best to delete the tools we used here. If they are used incorrectly they could cause problems. It's best to use them only if asked to by a staff member in the forums.
Each different infection requires a different tool to get rid of it. So if you got happened to get infected again in the future, it may well be by a different piece of malware which would require a different tool to the ones we used here.
Also, these tools are constantly being updated by our experts here to fight the latest strains of various malware so next week combofix for example may be on the next version.
AVG antispyware of cause can be kept for scanning your machine.

ALL of the programs in the list of my last post are free.
Zone Alarm is excellent & well recommended.

Personally I use AVG antivirus free
AVG antispyware free
SpywareBlaster
ZoneAlarm Firewall

It is impreitive that you have Antivirus & Firewall software on your machine.
Please note though, only have ONE antivirus program AND ONE firewall program running at any one time.
Many users asking for help have multiple AV & FW programs running at the same time & these can conflict with each other & cause problems.

I hope all the above makes sense Rob, if not please don't hesitate to post back here. I will leave this thread open for a few days in case you have anymore questions.

Cheers, Colin.

robbiegee

robbiegee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Awesome. Thanks again for everything that you have done.

I have one last question we have eTrust EZ Antivirus already on our computer, is this ok? I do not think it has a firewall so I am going to get Zone alarm again. I hope that is a good combo.

Thanks

Rob

rem

rem

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Hi Rob,
eTrust EZ Antivirus & Zone Alarm should do just fine. Just remember to keep checking for updates to your AV software.
I don't know if you bought eTrust AV or not for a 12 month subscription or whatever. If so, & you want to save some cash, rather than buying the next version for a further 12 months when your subscription is due, you could uninstall it & install AVG antivirus free which is excellent, free & which we recommend here at GeekstoGo together with ZoneAlarm.

For the link to AVG Antivirus free click Here
For the link to ZoneAlarm click Here

Anything else I can help with?
Colin.

robbiegee

robbiegee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Colin,
A few more quick questions. How does Spywareguard and blaster work? Do I have to do anything or do they run in realtime?

Also, should I remove the AVG anti-spyware? You said it was a trial version, and I don't think I'll pay for it. I have Spy-bot which seems pretty good. Plus the two things above you suggested.

Thanks
Rob

rem

rem

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Hi Rob,
Both SpywareBlaster & Spyware guard run in realtime & do not need to be running to provide protection.
They are both excellent programs, however you really only need one of them. I use Spywareblaster only because I came across it first.
All you have to do is run it periodically (twice a week or so) & download the latest updates. For a step by step guide to downloading, installing & using both programs see
Here for Spywareblaster &
Here for Spywareguard

I would recommend you keep AVG Antispyware installed on your machine. When the 30 day trial period expires, all you lose is the realtime protection & the automatic updates. After that you can still download the latest updates yourself in exactly the same way as you did when you installed the program earlier in this thread. You can also still scan your system & get rid of nasties, again, exactly as you did earlier. Why not keep it together with Spybot & run them both one after another because what one doesn't pick up the other one might.

Make sense?
Colin.

robbiegee

robbiegee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Colin,

Thanks for all of your help. Everything you have helped me with makes sense. I greatly appreciate it. I think that is all the questions I have. The computer is running like a dream.

Thanks again

Rob