Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lexmark X5150 All-in-one

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
My printer suddenly started having trouble feeding in the paper. It's as if it's not grabbing it very well. jiggling the paper, shoving it down a bit helps and will sometimes get that one sheet to feed properly, but then it's the same thing with the next sheet. Is this something I can fix, have repaired or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new unit, altogether? Thanks ahead of time for any advice you can give me.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
try a different brand of paper.

My Brother all in one has the same problem. I have to use compressed air on the area where the paper feeds in. On my unit, I spray a small rectangular piece and a small roller. Keep the can upright, don't shake it, use very short bursts...like 1/2 second. Take your time. If there is a roller that is involved in gripping the paper, turn the roller by hand if possible, spraying all of it.

I notice that the problem happens if I don't use it for awhile. I think that dust is building up on the top sheet of paper and the feed mechanism.

You might want to look carefully to see if any scrap of paper is in the feed area.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
You are right on. While I was waiting for a reply, I decided to try and open up the unit and have a look inside. Well, I couldn't get it open no matter how hard and long I tried. Obviously, the design engineer has a higher I.Q. than 151. He completely outsmarted me.

While tinkering with it and turning it this way and that, it looked to me like the roller was full of dust. It was a struggle, but with a slighly damp cloth and a screw driver, I was able to effect enough of a change that it now works.

And it was the same cause you mentioned. I hadn't used the printer in months. It's amazing how much you can learn just by being too poor or cheap to repair or replace something. I figure in about another year or so, I can go into the PC maintenance business. :whistling:

I didn't know you could buy a can of compressed air. It must be useful for blowing out the inside of a PC. Mine gets incredibly dusty and I hate blowing all that stuff back up into my face.

Thanks for your time, bud.