Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sigmatel audio problem

• Please log in to reply

Mets

Mets

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey guys,

Today I was watching tv on my tv tuner (avermedia pc) when all of a sudden there was a significant change in audio. The audio went from perfectly fine, to very low and fuzzy. I thought that maybe somehow I hit the volume button and tried to turn it back up, but I was surprised that that did not fix the problem. Even on maximum, the sound is low and very fuzzy. It sounds as if the speakers totally failed.

Running with that idea, I found some headphones and plugged them in to see what would happen. To my surprise, the sound was the same, so I guess it isn't speakers. I then tried downloading some new drivers. Two new sets of drivers from Dell didn't work. I uninstalled the audio and let windows update try to find the best driver, but that didn't work. I rolled it back to the old drivers, and that didn't work. So, now I'm out of options, and out of sound.

Compter Specs
Dell Inspiron 5100, P4, XP SP2, 1 Gig of RAM
SigmaTel C-Major audio

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Mets

Mets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just a little update. I booted up a USB-drive version of PuppyLinux to see if the problem existed on a different operating system, and unfortunately it does. I don't know if that makes it worse or easeir to fix...

Mets

Mets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nevermind, I put my laptop on standby and it fixed it lol!