Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes while working-new ram

• Please log in to reply

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just installed new ram for my computer from 512-1024 and now every single time my computer is working on something that requires graphics or if im multitasking on my computer it shuts off, my guess is its not getting enough power...im not sure and microsoft wants 300 dollars for support. Its really annoying because i like to play games. I can play most games, but if i try to multitask, such as alt+tab it usually shuts off. :/

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could test the memory to make sure that it is ok:

http://www.memtest86.com/

but if the machine is just turning off, it could be that the power supply is not large enough. You could add up the power for everything and/or try removing some things which you don't need and see if that changes anything.

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I took out 1 of my 512's and it doesnt shutoff anymore...If thats the case then it would be the lack of power wouldnt it?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Could be a bad stick.

Download speedfan from here
Speedfan

Post a screenshot while multi-tasking with the 2 sticks in there to see if we are experiencing overheating.

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I cant cause its pretty much random. Ill explain what happens in detail. Ok..lets see..I was playing a game called counter strike source and i wanted 2 check my msn 2 see if anyone had talked 2 me so i pressed alt tab. it goes into a black screen then the computer just goes dead silent and my moniter displays: Power saving effect blah blah will now take effect and it restarts itself. Hey...You know what... I took out my old ram and put in the new one in the first slot and it wouldnt go to the start menu. It kept resetting itself as soon as it got close, but i replaced it with the old one and it worked fine. Slow as crap but still. The old 512 is in it right now. BTW--->Any reason why it displays i have like 100-200 less ram then i have? ex. when i go to my computer info it said i only had like 700 some ram when i had 2 512 sticks in. ty

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling: ..sounds like a bad stick or u touched it while putting it in.. u might try taking it out and looking at the slots to see if all the cantacts are in a straight line..

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Eh? No... It works... alright I tried putting back in the 512, it was even worse... tried just using my new 512...same as the 2...then i tried putting the new one in the other slot old one in the new slot and so far no previous problems..ill take the test: This 1 game i have it crashes as soon as it gets going(didnt when i had my 512) WISH ME LUCK!!!

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thats a negative. Is there any way to test what it is for SURE before you spend any money or send it to someone to check out this PIECE OF CRAP(stomps computer) Some program..or what..So far my suspisions are such..:lack of power supply::maybe overheating::bad ram perhaps:: :/ :/ :/ :/ I h8 this..

Rook8080

Rook8080

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey -

I'm having the SAME problem with my machine.

1 old stick @ 512
2 new sticks @ 512 each

The old stick works fine, no reboots.
Adding one or both new sticks will cause a crash during memory intensive apps.

Taking out the old stick and using one or both new sticks with either crash soon after Windows loads or crash even before Windows loads.

I've run memtest on both new sticks and there are no errors.

The new RAM is the same speed as the old and was purchased through the Crucial Scanner, so it must be a fit.

What gives?

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yeh, its annoying aint it? Im buying a new power source tommorow ill tell u if that fixes it, if not its definetly the memory sticks... Anyway GL with ur computer lol mine hasent reset for over 4 days, mainly because i havent reset it/used powerfull apps.

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok i got a new power source...Holy crap they are hard 2 replace! I would suggest plyers...my fingers are like bleeding from trying 2 pry out the cords.. Any way yea it was the power source for my computer, it runs fine now. There was like 7 unused cords...dunno if i need them...ill tell u if i do lol

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

Ok maybe it helped a bit but its still resetting...All that work...NOOOOOOOOOO!

Edited by XxFadexX, 28 January 2007 - 06:13 PM.

Rook8080

Rook8080

• Pip
  • 2 posts
New power source?? Argh...

That's sounds like a real pain.

Thanks for letting me know. Good job getting that done!

JaYaKaTheDog

JaYaKaTheDog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys you having the same prob as me dont listen to ram scanners they lie and always say your pc can handle more then it can i bought a 512stick and i cud play BF2 for about 10mins before it crash's and it was pissing me off so i sold the stick to my mate and bought 256 and put that in and it works perfect not as much ram as before but it runs ok and dusnt crash also have you tryed dusting the ports out and cleaning the contacts with a cd cleaning wipe ya best bet tho is buying a half decent pc from pc world with a dual core proccer ripping the Gfx card out buying a Agp 512 card and a gig of ram but before you think of spending loads remember vista is out so soon the next gen will be here and next jan they are bringing out quad core proccers so put up with your pc's for now and get saving unless your rich lol :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
XxFadexX - run memtest, as recommended by Kemasa in post 2. www.memtest86.org

XxFadexX

XxFadexX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
How about no! The tests dont do anything anyway. I KNOW its my ram. Are you blind? I dont need to test it for i know what the problem is. It cant fix my ram, so why waste my time on it?