Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with eradicating Daemon tools

• Please log in to reply

irocstang

irocstang

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well in short i need a bit of help to successfully and safetly remove any remanants of daemon tools from my pc as its not even supposed to be on my pc....i think the previous owner had it on here but i dont want any bit of it on my pc. After takling some malware succesfully i have noticed that there is an entry in my highjack this log to daemon tools:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

it is also present under the startup tab in msconfig. It is not present in add/remove programs. When doing a system search for files and folders with daemon in there name I came up with these:

- daemon.exe -lang 1033 zxz C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files

- DAEMON Tools C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs File Folder

- DAEMON Tools C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menus\Programs\Daemon Tools 1KB Shortcut

-daemon.c C:\honeyd-0.5a 3KB C File

-daemon.c honeyd-0.5a 3KB C File

-daemon_mgm.exe C:\Program Files\WinPcap 48KB Application

-cidaemon.exe C:\Windows\system32 8KB Application

-daemon.msi C:\install\Applications\Dtools 811KB Windows Installer Package

I want this program and all of its files off my pc because they are unwanted, taking up space and effecting my boot up time. I need help cause I dont want to delete something i shouldnt and mess up my pc. If anyone could analyse this list of stuff i got from my search and let me know what to do safetly i would greatly appretiate it.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
http://www.daemon-to...ead.php?p=34623

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive never noticed daemon tools to effect boot time and it wont affect your startup if you have it set not to start at startup, handy program to have as well.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Ive never noticed daemon tools to effect boot time and it wont affect your startup if you have it set not to start at startup, handy program to have as well.

I've used Daemon Tools before, and its never affected my boot time. I no longer use Daemon Tools though. So I agree with Warriorscot.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 07 February 2007 - 07:12 AM.