Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP hangs up after logo - cant boot from CD

• Please log in to reply

kitoriley

kitoriley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My son has killed his computer and I am not sure if it can be saved from home or not.

I would say he somehow got a virus and its done this.

When we power on his computer we get the windows logo with the options to go to the Setup and Boot menus.

We can not get to Safe Mode.

We can not get anything to happen when we try to boot from OS or CD. I can get into DOS but nothing will actually run from DOS so that hasnt helped me much.

I am at the end of my limited knowledge on what to do. I am assuming the master record boot whatever is dead or gone. But everything I have read about that tells me to fix it with the windows disk. But since I cant get it to work at all i am dead in the water

Any ideas at all?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two things to try first:

1) CHKDSK. Boot off your XP CD, press R on the first screen, type "chkdsk /p /r" and press Enter. Leave it a while. When its done, type Exit.

If the computer still doesn't work, do a Windows repair.

2) Windows Repair. Boot off the XP CD, press Enter on the "Welcome to Windows XP" setup screen. Press F8, then press R.

kitoriley

kitoriley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the problem is i cant do anything with the windows CD. It says booting from CD but then just hangs up again.

I cant get to the safe mode menu and so i am stuck. The only thing i can do is get to the A: prompt with a floppy disk.

kitoriley

kitoriley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
for anyone else with this problem i used

Hiren's BootCD 8.7

to finally get past the hangup and was able to reformat