Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

User accounts deleted from login screen!

• Please log in to reply

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, my name is Don.

I was doing a scan with Look2Me Destroyer because I noticed my computer wasnt running as smoothly as it should. It asked me to reboot my computer, so I did, but when it restarted and my loginscreen came up, my account (the picture, the place where you type in your password, etc.) was gone. I keep restarting my computer hoping that it will come up again, but its not.

I've tried pulling up the Administrator's Account by using Ctrl+Alt+Del twice but it still is a blank login-screen.

Do I need to reformat? and if I do, is there anyway I can still recover my files?

Thanks.. All help is greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try running a repair install. It will not delete your files, it will just repair the OS.
repair

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry, but im obviously having a new issue.

So, for the recovery disc that I have, I had to go in BIOS to change my settings to boot from the CDrom..

unfortunately, I must have set a password for the BIOS a while back. I know what the password is, and it allows me to go in, but since I set the password, it won't let me change anything anymore. The parameters are now 'unclickable' and won't let me select anything to change it.

Sorry for the confusion.. wonder why this is happening?

thanks

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Take out the battery from the mobo for a hour allowing it to clear the BIOS

it should look something like this
http://www.pasarlasc...board481133.JPG

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have removed the battery from the motherboard, reseting the bios. I changed it to boot with my cd-rom drive, but it still is not recognizing the cd.

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I finally got my CDROM drive to work, and I finally got through the Windows Reinstallation.

But now I have a new problem.. After I installed Windows again with the Recovery disc, all it does now is restart the boot-up process over and over again and never going to the loginscreen.

It goes through the screen where the Windows logo and the little "loading" bar is, but after that it starts over to the beginning.

Any suggestions?

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
*bump* still trying to get this working here..

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
hey don_jovi,

Im sorry for the long wait.

Try this out
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp).
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

don_jovi

don_jovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran the chkdsk /r and only got this as a result:

"chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.

78140128 kilobytes total disk space.

3010064 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

19535032 total allocatin units on disk.

735016 allocation units available on disk."

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
There is one opition left or we may need to formatt again

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html