Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my wireless stopped working randomly because.....?

• Please log in to reply

brock

brock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
;)

last week .... argh

before last week, my wireless seemed to work fine. i would get signal, and if i was lucky and prayed, i'd get some packets :tazz:

now... its taken a turn for the worse.

i will admit to connecting to an unknown router in an unknown undisclosed location.

i think i know where the signal is coming from (the general direction) but i cannot be sure. my friend lives down the way.. .about half a block from where i do, and he connects to the same unencrypted linksys access point i do. he gets much better signal there, and can actually get the benefits of their cable internet. (whereas i'd be lucky to run AIM :\ .. not that i am complaining or anything. about the 17th/18th of march, my wireless wouldnt connect to a dns server or wins server... i thought it weird, but figured it could be solved with a quick disable/enable combo. Boy was i mistaken. I recall something like this occurring randomly before in the past. I dont know what brought this on, but before, it was when i "repaired" the connection, it would jump the packet count by 3, but not function as internet/viable connection.

now i dont know... i tightened the connection to my airlink antenna (7 dbi gain) and it froze my Dell. No blue screens as i was accustomed to, just freezing.

so i restarted. stuff happened. i remember a week where it wouldnt function at all, because the darned antenna was in it. anyway

i was suffering from really fast connections to a network that didnt exist. i wasnt getting a dns or wins server. im pretty sure i've tried most everything in the book. i have not busted out any cmd prompt ipconfig or cool stuff.

i have disabled it, uninstalled it from device manager(because it was giving me this conflict junk (after i restarted and removed the antenna, everything was back to normal... sorta, i still couldnt connect or get wins/dns servers)

i have taken it out, and reinstalled it... still giving me this super fast connect with packets streaming in from nowhere

it used to work fine...now, not at all

(i have yet to collaborate with my linksys friend, as we are on spring break, he is prolly with his dad, where wireless internet cannot reach him)

what is the diagnosis?

Advertisements

brock

brock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
if you dont feel like reading that, dont worry, i wouldnt want to either

IN SHORT, my wireless wont work, and i have no clue why. It did before, so where should I start?

Thanks

NeedyGuy

NeedyGuy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Quick questions, which available internet connection do you choose to connect to? (netgear,2wire,etc...)
Also, have you tried using it at midnight? I got over 1000 packet sent per sec.

Edited by NeedyGuy, 19 December 2008 - 12:19 AM.