Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Turns of When Touched or Moved

• Please log in to reply

darlabbq

darlabbq

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
My roomates laptop (Compaq, don't know details, but will get tomorrow). Crashes every time you move it. If you sit it on table and try to type on keyboard it just cuts off. Must Turn power on manually. I think it might have something to do with the aftermarket power supply cord/charger that she had to buy after he dog chewed up her other one (It has learned better now and this one is in perfect condition). I do believe her battery has gone bad so it doesn't hold a charge and only works when plugged up. I believe the Igo power supply is bad or there is a short in the computer somewhere. Any suggestions? When it boots up, it does fine until the laptop is moved.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I dont think its the power supply, but maybe. She could probably buy a compaq power supply off Ebay instead of buying a new one. Usually they either work or they are dead. Sometimes the aftermarket power supplys can get kinda flaky. I have one on a panasonic toughbook that sometimes worked and sometimes not. Guess it depended on the mood of the computer, LOL. I could not find a factory power supply for the panasonic.

More than likely the laptop has been dropped and has a wire that short circuits when moved. Thats a tough one to fix and since new laptops are only $500 the old ones are not really worth fixing. I have a few dozen old laptops that were given to me by people that just don't know what to do with them. Too good to junk but won't really run. I save them for parts for customers if they have a similar model laptop. I try to not get into fixing them.

SRX660