Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop power input thingy broke :'(

• Please log in to reply

Insane Tadpole

Insane Tadpole

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
well, you know where you put your power plug into the laptop to charge the battery, well the metal peice that the plug surounds when u put the power cable into the laptop, the peice of metal is inside the laptop where it shouldn't be... what do you guys reconmend me to do?... should i open it up?

cheers guys.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a watch makers tool kit that has a very tiny set of needle nose pliers for this kind of problem. If you have the patience you could use a couple of large hand sewing needles to try fishing it out of the socket. The piece should not be a real tight fit in the socket. You could also try a pair of tweezers that have very skinny tips. It's unusual for problems to crop up there on a laptop.

SRX660

Insane Tadpole

Insane Tadpole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I have a watch makers tool kit that has a very tiny set of needle nose pliers for this kind of problem. If you have the patience you could use a couple of large hand sewing needles to try fishing it out of the socket. The piece should not be a real tight fit in the socket. You could also try a pair of tweezers that have very skinny tips. It's unusual for problems to crop up there on a laptop.

SRX660

should i take the laptop apart?, i've never have had taken a laptop apart, only my desktop computer..., because that metal peice is right in the middle of it by the sounds of it.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ok, your description was not clear enough on your first post. From what you are saying now the whole sockot that you plug-in the cable to has been broken and is loose in there to where you cannot plug in the cable to charge it up. Unfortunately most of these connections are soldered onto the motherboard and would takea great deal of patience and time to fix. I have pictures of a toshiba power connector showing where it is soldered to the motherboard if you would like to see them( message me please). Yes you will probably have to take the whole computer apart and that is not a easy job. It is one of the reasons i quit trying to fix laptops except for easy stuff like replacing a HD, or changing a screen.

SRX660