Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wind 98 settings. Monitor will not work

• Please log in to reply

annabell

annabell

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi there,

hope you can help me! My 9 1/2 yr old has re-set the monitor settings on the computer in his room......he thinks he set the monitor to go from a black screen to normal screen once the computer came to the password log-in......only problem is it does not work. We have a black screen on the monitor and it doesn't change. Not sure if he has messed with anything else, or if the computer is not getting to the log in part. :whistling:

Is there anyway of making the monitor live instead of black? Any magic way of overriding the monitor settings? I know it is a big ask, especially when he cannot exactly remember what it was that he altered!!!

All help would be greatly appreciated, at the moment we have useless computer and a very angry mother.

The montior has power, and it seems that the monitor is going into standby mode after start-up as the power light goes from green to orange after a time

Please help save my son!!! (from me)

Many thanks in advance, the frustrated mum..

Edited by annabell, 21 January 2007 - 11:33 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the power button and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode

Does it show anything then

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thankyou keith!

I have also been getting some help from SRX660, who has suggested the same idea. No luck as yet! When we disconnected the monitor it showed the "no signal" message, so the monitor will display something, not sure if means the monitor is o.k or not???

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! I will continue to try and get into safemode, and will check back for any suggestions.

Many thanks, annabell

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No signal can mean the PC thinks there isn't a monitor, is the cable connected firmly to the monitor and the tower

Could be worth unplugging the monitor at the mains for a minute the switching it on to standby, then starting the PC

annabell

annabell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yep, tried that. Still no joy.

The monitor only showed the no signal message when we unpluged it from the tower to see what would happen. When it is plugged in it just shows a black screen still. Does the fact that it could show that message mean that the monitor may still be o.k?

We have been unable to get in to safe mode as yet.

Do you know if running the recovery disk would be any use? We would still need to be able to choose options from the screen though, wouldn't we?? A bit tricky with a black screen.......

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you first boot up, before windows supposedly loads, do you at least see the pre-boot information scrolling down the screen?

Try this... power up the PC and continuously hit the delete key. This action will bring you to the bios screen. This exercise is just to see if you can get anything on the monitor. If you cannot see anything, then it may be that the vid cable is bad, the vid card is bad (or needs to be reseated), the motherboard is bad (onboard video),or the monitor may be bad. If the screen is blank... use the power key to turn the computer off immediately... because, if you really have entered the bios, we wouldn't want you to start changing anything in there without being able to see what you're doing. Another suggestion is to move the monitor over to another computer to check it out.