Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

DVD drive on my laptop won't read DVDs or CDs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

The Batman

The Batman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey there, I was hoping for a little help.

The DVD drive on my laptop (specs here) won't read DVDs or CDs when I insert them into the drive. When I right click to explore or double click on the drive nothing.

Nothing happens.

I can't even open up the drive door using the eject tab that comes up when you right click on it.

At first I thought that it was simply a matter of my notebook having a bad DVD drive but when I accidentally started up the computer with a DVD in the drive it read it and played everything fine.

Is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

Is there a way to fix this?Earlier my computer was having a problem where it would freeze up when I tried to play DVDs. Is this related to that?

Any help will be very appreciated,

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,130 posts
Duplicate post now closed.