Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 11 Plugin?

• Please log in to reply

Norwester

Norwester

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'v been trying to sign up with NBA Audio League Pass,but after it checks my system for compatibility,I'm directed to download Media Player 9. Thats for Windows 98/2000 and I'm running XP MCE and have Media Player 11 already. I checked and its not showing up in my plugins for Firefox or Opera and evidently not in IE or Netscape,because it won't work with those either. What do I do? :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi, norwester, I think what might be happening is that the NBA website is unable to detect WMP 11 on your system because it's a fairly new version and they don't recognise it (same thing happens with IE7 on some sites believe it or not). So they are prompting you to install an earlier version, which is not possible in your case.

I'm not too familiar with MCE (mine's XP Home) but this is what I'm able to do on mine-> I can't install an earlier version of WMP (obviously), but what I can do (if needed) is uninstall the WMP 11 that I updated to some months ago. Windows would then revert to using the original version that comes with my Windows XP, which is WMP 9 (I bypassed WMP 10 altogether, jumped straight from v9 to v11) Yours may revert to WMP 10 if you can roll back at all, but that may still do the trick.
Go into Add/Remove Programs. Tick "Show Updates" box at the top. If WMP 11 is listed that means you can roll back by uninstalling it. What you end up with may be WMP 9 or WMP 10, but there's a chance it will work whichever it is.

Edited by pip22, 22 January 2007 - 01:28 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi again, norwester. I've just been to the 'NBA Audio League Pass/BrightSpot TV' website and I see thay recommend WMP 9, 10 or 11, so my apologies; recognition of your version is probably not the problem. I can play their commercial clips in my WMP 9 no problem, can you, or is that the very problem you're having?

Can you get WMP to run inside IE at any other website? (try a news site like BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk

Norwester

Norwester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
pip22,
thanks for the help,its much appreciated.
I tried the rollback before I posted here and that didn't work either. Anyway,I tried WMP11 & IE on the BBC site and it didn't recognize/find the WMP. Then I noticed a box asking if I wanted to enable active X. Did that & it worked on that site. I went back to the nba.com alp signup site and this time it found the WMP and shuffled me thru to the signup page. Evidently I had active x blocked/disabled/disallowed somewhere. I don't remember blocking or disabling it in IE though I must have. Its working now anyway.
Thanks again!

ETA Went into Internet options/Security etc and found where I did have them disabled. (insert banghead smiley here)

Edited by Norwester, 22 January 2007 - 04:14 PM.