Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual booting differnt HD

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok i want to install the vista rtm on second drive i don't want to run it on my C:\ with windows xp i want to run it off my D:\ but i don't want to have to disable my sata 1/2 in bios to bbot from it and then reenable my Sata 1/2 to get back my xp boot

also what should i put my jumper on for ide to run as a slave so my Sata will always be my first boot unless i tell bios differnt?

also i took the jumpers off my satas so they run normaly but why are their 2 pins that seagate marks as well blank same with IDE hds are those pins for storing an unused jumper? just asking before i make a mistake.

thanks in advance and i know lol mutiple ?s that don't even deal with this subform, sorry bout that.

Advertisements

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Anyone?

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
does anyone have an answer?

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
You can set your boot options in your bios directory. Your talking about installing into a seperate partition and not another HD, I'm assuming. When you install Vista it will take priority over XP when you boot up. Vista will automatically become C:\ drive and XP will then be labeled D:\ or some other letter. It doesn't matter if its on another partitian or HD. The Vista bootmanager is not the same as XP boot.ini
With the Vista betas, RC1, RTM at least on my Asus it didn't pick up my XP after install so I had to manually set this up using VistaBootPro http://www.vistabootpro.org/ and set up your XP legacy OS. If you install Vista and decide you want to uninstall it or only boot into XP, you will have to go into Recovery from your XP CD and fixboot. If you do this you will no longer be able to boot into Vista. Aconis Disk Director Suite has an operating system selector that also works with this process and Acronis also allows you to delete partitians very easily.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
aight thats what i thought and i was hoping my though process was wrong guess not aight i'l just install it on my old 30 gig external then al i have to do is fdisk it if i don't like or when the 30 days or 15 what ever it is is up thnaks for the info.

also know anything sata hds and jumpers lol just curious wat pins 1 and 2 are for cause thier is documentaion on the site or the HD. so i'm assuming they are "dead pins" in which to store the jumper for limiting the drive to a 1.5g transfer. which is enalbed by setting the jumper on pins 3 and 4. but nothing i mention about pins 1 & 2?

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Newer boards you don't have to mess with those. Sorry not sure. Check here Mr.Logic

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I thank you i got a quick and easy answer their and my problem is solved lol thanks for link rodneymckay

rodneymckay

rodneymckay

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Edited by rodneymckay, 31 January 2007 - 12:26 AM.