Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Quits Working after about 5 Minutes - must reboot!

• Please log in to reply

Nuts4pi

Nuts4pi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, I'll try to explain this as best I can as I'm posting this for my husband. He is on a business trip in SE Asia (India, Korea, Taiwan) and while in India he picked up a virus. It's been cleared but he continues to have this problem with IE7... :whistling:
He's able to open it and do a little reading or get his email, but after about 5 minutes he only gets the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error and is unable to open any new tabs or windows, no links work, etc. (he then has to reboot to get it back). He's cleared files (history, cookies, temp files, etc.) using Internet Options and Explore, disabled add-ons, enabled & disabled pop-ups, etc., all to no avail. He's even tried using it in safe mode but the same problems occur. He was able to download HJT which got rid of hggff.dll (Vundo?). He said he would try to email the hjt.log file tomorrow morning (tonight EST) and I will post it, if this will help to decipher the problem. Meanwhile, if anyone has a suggestion of what else to try I (and he) would greatly appreciate it!
He is using a Dell D610 laptop running XP-Pro on a VPN (required to get his emails from work).

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
He might try installing Firefox, or Opera in the meantime... just so he can access the internet until IE gets fixed. As for his IE7 problem... I really have no idea as I don't use IE.

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Welcome to G2G. There could be a number of issues.

a) Are the settings for his VPN not corrupted?
b) Can he try installing Firefox here and the problem persists?
c) Does he have a XP disk with him?

For posting a HJT log please follow these steps if possible. If not possible please mention that in your post and copy the link to this thread in your log post.