Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp not booting up

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I cleaned up the inside of my computer today, had to remove all the cables from it. Now I connected it back & it firstly told me that the CMOS had to reset or something like that and I had to configure my BIOS from scratch including date & time. But it is not starting up now, it comes to the Windows XP Home Edition loading screen and doesn't go any further and that little blue dots that keep moving stop moving and the comp doesn't respond to anything. It does however load up in safe mode. Any ideas ? All help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
This is one the errors that are difficult to know why they happen. There are lots of variables so it could be due to various things.
Check if your memory modules are a little bit loose.
If that does not help try restoring the system. If that does not work either then you should re-install your OS.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ya well that's the thing. If I hadn't connected my cables properly shouldn't it not even start up in safe mode? Is there anyway I could repair all my Windows files withouth losing any information or settings or anything?

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The only safe way i know of is restoring your system.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello manu08...

Boot the machine using your XP installation cd. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to load Recovery Console.

Select your operating system...it will usually be listed as 1: C:\WINDOWS...press the number key that corresponds to your operating system.

When prompted for the Admin password, just press Enter

This should take you to a command prompt...C:\WINDOWS>

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter

This should start a thorough check of the file system. Let it complete...it may take an hour or more and even appear to hang, back up, or start over...this is normal. Once this completes and is back at the command prompt, type exit and press Enter. Remove the cd from the drive and it should boot to Windows normally.

Let me know how you do with this.

wannabe1

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok well I didn't need to load the recovery console or restore the computer or anything. All I did was remove the graphics card and plug it back in, and unplugged all optical drives and additional hard drives from the computer, including all USB powered accessories and the computer started fine. Then starting by the two additional hard drives I have I connected everything one by one to make sure I would be able to find out which was causing the fault, all worked out fine with no errors at all. I did also run a memtest just to make sure the RAM was not faulty.