Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

redirect domain name

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hi,
Im having a small problem and i cant seem to figure it out.

I have bought a new domain named aieseckolkata.org. I want to send all users coming here to the page http://www.xyz.com/websites/files/.

How do i do this? Is this possible?
Edit/Delete Message

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
ZoneEdit allows free DNS services which include domain forwarding...

One has to wonder why you would want to do this though? Number one, a forwarded domain gets exclusively ignored by Google and other search engines, which means zero traffic, so again, what's the point?

If you have your own domain hosted somewhere (your example of xyz.com is actually your domain of aieseckolkata.org) then you could just create a subdomain which points to that particular directory.

Edited by thenotch, 22 January 2007 - 04:31 PM.

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I don't think the guys who i bought the domain from (rediff.com) allow me to create sub-domains so i guess I'm kinda stuck. The site for internal purposes so it doesn't matter if it shows up on Google or not. I i wanted to forward it how would i have to do it? My domain control panel allows me to change three options

Domain Assigning (A Records)
Domain Forwarding (CNAME)
Name Server Mapping

How exactly would I have to do it. We have a conference coming up with the next couple of days and I cant seem to be able to figure out how to get this dumb thing up and running. I'm counting on you buddy to help me out of this soup.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your Domain Assigning (A Records) is where you can put the IP address you want the domain name to be associated with. This is all well and fine unless it is what you want which is sub-directories of the domain.

You might be able to use the CNAME to point one domain to the other domain, although I am not sure if the CNAME function allows sub-directories, I believe it only points one qualified domain sub-domain to another qualified domain or sub-domain.

So if you had the ability to create a sub-domain you could do this. You could configure newsite.aieseckolkata.org to be loacted at http://www.xyz.com/websites/files/ and then configure aieseckolkata.org to point to newsite.aieseckolkata.org in the CNAME record.

The EASY way is to just get a ZoneEdit account, configure the forwarding, edit the DNS records and you are done.