Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP User rights

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I currently have two user accounts. One is the administrator account (password protected) which i use to install programs. The other account is power user which i use regularly.
Today i had to connect a new usb device and Windows says that the power user account does not have enough rigths to do that.
Is there a way i can manage power user rights so i can add new devices?.
One last question.
To use that device i need to run an application that only runs if i'm logged as administrator. Is there a way i can "give" this program administrative rights?.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Diego8, 22 January 2007 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

One last question.
To use that device i need to run an application that only runs if i'm logged as administrator. Is there a way i can "give" this program administrative rights?.

Right click the program or shortcut and choose Run As. Enter the administrator's username and password. See this link for more information: http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
OK. Sorry i did not explain well. The thing is that this program will be used by someone that shouldn't know the password (and is better if he/she does not)
What i'm trying to do is to run that program as administrator but without typing the password every time. I mean, typing the password once and that it gets saved or telling Windows that this program should always run with administrative rights.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. Try setting up a scheduled task to run that program, run once, with the administrative username and password. I've tested this on my workstation and when I signed in as a different user, that task was there. To run a scheduled task on-demand, right click the task and choose Run.

Does that help?

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks LindaGail a lot for your help but i decided to make my own program that uses the runas command. This way the user runs it as any other program, from the start button.