Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble reinstalling XP, setup cannot create folder?

• Please log in to reply

Darlena

Darlena

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall windows xp on a Toshia laptop. The recovery didn't work so I'm trying a complete reinstall. Everything starts off ok, but then when windows is trying to setup I get this message :

Set up cannot create the folder \windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86. Setup cannot continue until the folder is created. press enter to retry, F3 to quit setup. I've retried, but keep getting the same message.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Darlena

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, what was the original reason for your wishing to restore, any hardware problems

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure but I think the hard drive may be gone or going. I got some bad sector errors when I tried the recovery.

PS. I see in a similar post someone else with a Toshiba laptop is haveing the same problem.
Is it true that they are putting chips in the compuer to keep you from reinstalling windows yourself, to force you to order their recovery cd? This one I'm working on is still under warrenty and when I called about the cd they told me it would cost $40 to ship it!! Is that legal?
Or do I need to complain to someone who is a lot more important than me?

Edited by Darlena, 23 January 2007 - 10:35 PM.