Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2003 problems

• Please log in to reply

mlovelace

mlovelace

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Recently I went on vacation, and for the first time, used my 'out of office assistant.' It worked fine until i returned from my vacation and I could not turn it off... in fact it would give me this message:
"The command is not available. See the program documentation about how to use this extension"
Even more frustrating is the fact that even after the time period specified in the 'out of office assistant' had passed, any new emails I recieve send out the auto response telling the sender that I'm out of the office until 12/28/06... which obviously has passed. This is even more annoying considering every single spam email i get, is auto-replied... and usually, those spammer emails, cannot accept email, and I then recieve a subsequent 'mailer demon - cannot deliver' email which in turn just adds to the amount of irrelevant emails i recieve...

PLEASE HELP... I repaired outlook already, but i still have the same error when trying to use or turn off the out of office assistant.

Thanks.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 06 February 2007 - 03:39 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
have you tried performing an office repair? Go to add/remove programs. look for Microsoft Office or Outlook. click on change/remove. WHen the next window opens, click on repair. This should resolve the issue.

mlovelace

mlovelace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

have you tried performing an office repair? Go to add/remove programs. look for Microsoft Office or Outlook. click on change/remove. WHen the next window opens, click on repair. This should resolve the issue.

Edited by mlovelace, 08 February 2007 - 02:38 PM.

mlovelace

mlovelace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Yes I have tried performing a repair on Outlook, but i still have the same error when trying to use or turn off the out of office assistant. Any other suggestions?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here a couple of other things to check (if your email is Exchange).

1. Do you have Cached Mode enabled? Go to Tools, Email Accounts, Next, highlight the Exchange account, Change, uncheck "Use Cached Mode". Close Outlook (you may need to reboot), reopen. Can you turn off the Assistant now? If you need to use Cached mode, you can reenable it.

2. Do you have Outlook Web Access? If so, log in to OWA, click the Shortcuts tab (to the left), then Options, turn off the Assistant. Does this fix it?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sorry, one more thing to check. In Outlook, click Help, About.., Disabled Items. Is the Out of Office Assistant listed there? If so, highlight it and Enable it.

mlovelace

mlovelace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
LindaGail Posted Today, 12:54 PM
Sorry, one more thing to check. In Outlook, click Help, About.., Disabled Items. Is the Out of Office Assistant listed there? If so, highlight it and Enable it.

FINALLY! THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT ON THIS ONE... THAT WAS VERY EASY TO FIX... WHO WOULDA KNOWN THERE WAS A LIST OF DISABLED ITEMS IN THE 'ABOUT' MENU!!!java script:emoticon(':whistling:', 'smid_2')
:blink:

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Wonderful! I'm glad you're fixed :whistling: