Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Time for a new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

will_1629

will_1629

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am fixing someones computer for them. Their hard drive wasn't excessible as a slave and my hard drive wouldn't even boot with it connected. I did a full format and attempted to reinstall windows xp home edition. No luck, failure on disk. I ran Data Life Guard Disk Utility on the 80 gig, Western Digital Hard Drive using the Extended Test. It found and repaired hard disk errors. I then proceeded to Write Zeros to the hard drive wiping it completely. The operating system installed successfully, but I am experienceing slow performance on a Pentium 4 running at 2.8 GHZ along with 512 ram running at 333 MHZ and 96 ram for the video. It sometimes takes up to 4 minutes to boot and start up plus the computer is sometimes experiences long delays of performance espeacially during installations. I'm almost positive they need a new hard drive, but I wanted a second opinion. The hard drive is also frequently clicking. The page file usage is under 100 at start-up yet i still experience slow performace when opening multiple programs, or even trying to load MSN messenger for example. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The fact that the drive is clicking is a sure sign its on the way out. Formatting a drive in whatever ways you fancy don't make a dying drive live again, especially if its a mechanical failure. On occasion you may be able to recover a bad sector or two with a low format or a complete sector wipe, but for the amount of time and effort it takes and the knowledge that "once a bad sector, always a bad sector" means its inevitable that the drive will soon die.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
neil is right, that is the famous 'click of death' so hurry and get the needed data off the harddrive while you can, scans will only wear it further and time is running out