Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winsock2

• Please log in to reply

920dsn

920dsn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran Spybot to remove spy ware, then I loaded Ad-Aware to remove additional spy ware. When I reboot I receive an error message "Winsock2 must be loaded on this machine". My CD Rom also doesn't read CD's and now I have a CD stuck in the drive otherwise I'd look to restore the Winsock2 from some application and remove and restore communication drivers. (I removed them in error) UGH What to do? :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You should reinstall your tcpip/network .

Start >Control Panel > Network

As a bare minimum, you need TCPIP, a network client, and a network adapter

This is 95, but it works for 98 as a guide

http://www.onecomput...king/dialup.htm

If you are fortunate, your windows cab files are on your harddrive (depends on who set it up)

920dsn

920dsn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info in the TCPIP. Do you have any idea how I can get my CD-ROM to read? It was working just great and then all of the sudden kaput. It flashes the light 3 times but isn't even spinning the CD and sometimes the CD becomes lodged inside. So frustrating!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cd-roms are probably the most prone to fail part in a computer of your age.

You can clean them with a cd-cleaner, and you can remove them from device manager to see if they reinstall, but ultimately, there are a lot of moving parts and a low powered laser in them which adds up to problems beyond the fifth year.

You can get one for $20 now.

920dsn

920dsn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help. I'll give all of these a try. Not sure how to put in a cd-rom but i'll try. Can't afford a new pc so will replace this item. Again much thanks!