Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen went black, won't start

• Please log in to reply

YourHelpNeeded

YourHelpNeeded

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi!

I am having problems with my Dell Inspiron 1100. Time line of events:

-I used to use this machine regularly for school: often connected to wireless networks both at school and at home

-I hadn't had the computer connected to a network for quite some time since I didnt' have up to date anti-virus software. during this time, my wife and I have been using the computer successfully for basic wordprocessing and other offline tasks

-last week, I installed Norton Internet Security 2007 on both my home desktop and this machine. during this process, I reconnected to my home wireless network so as to download all necessary NIS 2007 updates and activate the product

-immediately following the updates, I noticed that the computer was running much slower with the CPU frequently, being used up 80-100%... made a mental note to contact you folks regarding potential malware prob

-tonight, my wife was using the computer to do word processing (it was connected to our home network)...while it was running, she set the computer down on the couch to answer the phone and when she returned, the screen was black. Although the green light was still flickering, we were unable to get it started again. Now the power button doesn't seem to work at all and no green lights appear whatsoever. The fan is still running though.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Sounds like the laptop went into "Hybernate". If you press and "hold down" the power button, the laptop should turn off. It may take a few seconds. Let's hope it's that simple.

YourHelpNeeded

YourHelpNeeded

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello,

Sounds like the laptop went into "Hybernate". If you press and "hold down" the power button, the laptop should turn off. It may take a few seconds. Let's hope it's that simple.

When I read this, I thought you must think I'm pretty stupid... duh, i already guessed that it might have been in hibernate...

Well, you were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Thank you so much! I guess I am pretty stupid.

Anyhow, I will now back everything up on my external hard drive and proceed to check for malware problems...Thanks again :whistling:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
LOL!!! Well... at least you know how to spell "hibernate"! Maybe I meant... hypernate, or hyberstate or... orr... orrrrrr....

Glad you got it worked out. :whistling: