Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

northbridge & southbridge chipsets

• Please log in to reply

vraknari

vraknari

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Just curious as to which chipset I should look for on an Intel mobo.

Are there any that I should avoid or don't work well with others?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I must assume you are going to use a CORE 2 duo processor in a new build because you did not tell us what you are trying to do. I would go for the 975 chipset if possible. This MB chipsets will have to most bang for your buck. The one caveat is they are expensive. I would not even look at the 945 chipsets, Via chipsets, or any SIS chipsets. I prefer using Intel or Gigabyte motherboards with intel CPU's as they just seem to have no problems with them. Maybe if they ramp up on production i might look into a Nforce 4 chipset motherboard but when they do come out with one for the core 2 duo i think i would wait to see if there were any problems on the forums before i would buy one. Im running a 945 chipset on a intel 2.4 and a 965 chipset on a intel 3.0 ceder mils cpu and they both work pretty good. I switched from a Via chipset to the 945 chipset on the Intel 2.4 and am much happier with it. The Via chipset did not like some games very well so would lock up.

SRX660

vraknari

vraknari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry about that, but yes, it would be for a core 2 duo cpu.

wow, you weren't kiding when you said they were on the expensive side :whistling:

thanks as always for the help!!

Edited by vraknari, 23 January 2007 - 10:18 AM.