Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Woes

• Please log in to reply

TheLefTalker

TheLefTalker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One thing you'll tell me is "run system restore" yeah well it won't show up. I click on it, it loads, then stops, and no window. Same thing goes with Windows Media Player 11. Same thing goes with my search dog dude. SAME THING goes with my wireless management software. Explorer closes when viewing certain folders with videos in them mpg or avi, doesn't matter.

I have adaware pro and avast home edition. Avast found a s*** load of trojans on a system boot scan but that didn't help.

Oh, and my wireless internet has been acting up lately. It has been connecting better then usual but when I go to surf the net it says server cannot be found or whatever.

I'm scared guys help me this laptop is my baby.

EDIT: I have a strange feeling this is a windows update but if it was wouldn't a lot more people be posting about it. It all started when I was ripping a dvd with anyDVD and thats when explorer first crashed when I went to go look at the video's that I converter.

Edited by TheLefTalker, 22 January 2007 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi TheLefTalker...

First, let's verify that malware is not at the root of your problems.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

TheLefTalker

TheLefTalker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Figures being a newcomer here I would do something wrong :whistling:. Well little update. The second step it says for me to run system restore ummm it can't run it sooooooo do I skip this step?

This what I'm looking at when I start system restore.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture_1.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're not necessarily in the wrong place, but it's important to find out if there is still malware on the machine. There are things that can make it impossible to fix the machine if they are present.

You can skip that one and any others you have problems with. The important thing is to get a HiJackThis log posted in that forum so a malware expert can have a look at it. If you are still having problems after they say you are clean, come on back and we'll dig in. :whistling:

TheLefTalker

TheLefTalker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ten four! lol