Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No boot device detected: system halted?!?!?

• Please log in to reply

Gatorjay

Gatorjay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everybody,

Let me first say its great that there are people out there willing to help people out for free. Im a struggling college student and paying 200+ bucks for geeksquad to come out is way too much money for me.

And now to my problem:

I have to this day been pretty good at fixing viruses and my computer, and thought I knew most ways out of sticky situations. However, today my computer seems to have just flatout crashed. It happened as I was upgrading my windows media player. I was not seeking to do this, but was prompted by the media player when I tried to play a class lecture. Im hoping it wasnt a disguised virus prompt, and I double-clicked my computer to a certain death.

Anyways, my symptoms are as follows:

I was asked to reboot my computer after updating my windows media player. When I turned the computer back on, the screen was black. It told me that the computer was not able to start up correctly, and it gave me 5 options of which I forgot some of them: among them were a) I could start windows regularly, or b) start windows from a point in time when configurations were working properly. c) start from safe mode, etc. Im not sure if this was the exact wording, but something along the lines. Well after trying options a) and b), the computer would loop right back to the same screen. Nothing happened. After the 4th try it didnt come back to the same screen. I heard a clickin noise coming from my tower, and then the on the screen a message said "a disk read error occured." Finally, after restarting my computer a number of times and seeing this, I got s new message saying "No Boot device detected: system halted." This is now the message that pops up in black everytime I restart my computer.

Am I doomed?!?! Or can I just re-install windows again, or perhaps even save my current windows and years of files saved on it? If anybody knows, has heard of, or can refer me to a party that can assist me on this problem, I would sooooo much appreciate it.

Thanx for your time in reading this, and godbless
:whistling:

Edited by Gatorjay, 22 January 2007 - 11:34 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Try booting up your computer again and continually tap on the F8 key to bring up the Start Options list (do this before the time that Windows begins to load). If you can get to start option list, choose Safe mode start up. Assuming your computer starts up in Safe mode, do a System Restore to a time before you upgraded your Media player.