Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE7 "Freezes"

• Please log in to reply

janie marie

janie marie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
IE7 Upgrade Downloaded/Installed on Compaq EVO 1020V Laptop running on Windows XP Pro. Since the upgrade/installation I have not been able to use IE7. When I click to execute my computer freezes. When I check the Task Manager it does not show that IE7 is running or has even attempted to execute. I can't get to the internet to download a "fix" or to try to reinstall IE7 Upgrade. I am leary of uninstalling IE7 as I don't want to lose my Bookmarks, etc. I am at a second computer in the house and have the capability to download and burn to CD and run any download installation from the CD on my laptop. I've heard mention of other browsers (Opera? Firefox?) that you can use to temporarily access the internet until IE is operational. Where would I find these browsers? Has anyone had the same problem with freezing after an IE7 upgrade? If so, would you share with me what you did to remedy the situation? I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions from anyone.

Thanks,
Jane

P.S. Just prior to my IE7 upgrade I was trying to install a program and got the message .... TITLE: 16 Bit Windows Subsystem MESSAGE: C:\Windows|System 32\Autoexec.nt. The system files is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Chose Close to terminate the application. I had the option of "Close" or "Ignore" .... I chose "Ignore" .... nothing happened .... the computer froze and the program did not install. I have installed many programs and have never had this message appear. It sounds as if I need to download/install a 32 bit driver but don't understand why .... I am almost positive that I have/had a 32 bit driver. I don't know if this has any relevance to the IE7 problem but just thought I would mention it. I would also like any advice on why the message began to appear and what to do to fix it so that I can install new programs. I have tried to install other programs since then and have received this message approximately 75% of the time.

Edited by janie marie, 06 February 2007 - 11:46 PM.

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello andPosted Image to G2G. Which driver did you download?

cheltspy

cheltspy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Marie, I have a Compaq EVO 1020v and IE7 works fine. However this evo model tends to overheat especially if its a 2.4G Model. There should be a constant flow of air from the fan fins located at the top left hand side. If not then with laptop off, use a vacuum nozzle to clear the fins and on the system fan hole which is on the back under the back cover by the usb ports . Mine usually need doing every 3 months or so.