Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ME MY COMPUTER'S GONE CRAZY

• Please log in to reply

mamaden

mamaden

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[font=Arial]Hello everyone, this is my first post so I will try and keep it as short as I can.
I was using my PC last night when I got a blue screen saying my computer was going to be shut down for safety.
I turned it back on and it went through the windows loading screen, then to a screen that gave me the optiions of safe mode, last known good configuration & normal windows, I chose last known good but it just went back to the same screen so I tried safe and normal as well but ti just kept going back to the same thing.
I put my windows cd in and tried to boot it from that to see if it would repair, however it then told me that it couldnt detect any previous windows and that I needed a full program before I could add the upgrade. Now the problem is my disc is the full windows xp professional, it isn't an upgrade and it is original microsoft. I have never had this problem with it before and this disc has always loaded anytime I have done a reboot.
I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain here and I would be really grateful if anyone could give me any help to get my pc back to normal.
I am typing this at work so I hope someone helps me before home time.
Thanks in advance.
Denise[size=2]

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Posted Image to G2G. Please follow these steps. Plkease post back the result.

mamaden

mamaden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I presume I have to do that on my computer? The problem is I can't get into my computer as it will not load windows. Sorry if I'm sounding thick but I really do not understand computers at all.
Thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
This is not an easy one, first please could we have type of computer and its age.

Just want to recap,
- you cannot get into safe under any of its options so doing a restore from command prompt is out
- you cannot do the repair is CD because it cannot find the system, btw what is the exact message you are getting as to system not found?

If it is a desktop, how about opening it and clearing out the dust with a dry air can
also, these two above points make me feel that its hardware and overheating, or perhasp the harddrive is gone, do you know how to exact a harddrive from a computer to test it on another as it is not too hard to do?

I am often wrong so if anyone else has an idea here, pls share

Edited by fleamailman, 23 January 2007 - 05:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mamaden...

Let's take a look at a few things using your XP cd.

Boot to the cd and when you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to load Recovery Console.

What do you see on the next (black) screen? Is there anything that looks like: 1: C:\WINDOWS

wannabe1

mamaden

mamaden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys it's sorted.
Thanks for all your help. A friend of mine got a friend of theirs to call me last night and talk me through some stuff. (Sounded a bit like what you was suggesting wannabe1).
Everything is now all back to normal, he then advised that I uninstalled my antivirus (blueyonders safeguard) and download AVG, I did this and AVG found 22 trojans, no wonder I was having trouble.
Thanks again for all your help.
Denise

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you ran chkdsk /r, then that's exactly where I was headed... :whistling:

Glad you got it sorted...thanks for letting us know.