Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP startup/login screen trouble.

• Please log in to reply

compuser1

compuser1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey everyone. Starting recently, whenever I restart the computer and Windows XP boots up, it asks me to select a user before it finishes loading. However, seeing as there is only one user account on this computer it gets a little annoying. I just want the computer to boot straight onto the desktop like it used to. How do I revert back to the old days? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi.

Take a look at this link that describes how to configure auto logon.

Does that help?

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
If you go to CONTROL PANEL and go into USERS you only see 1 user? apparently something is telling XP there are multiple users. Have changed anything recently in for instance network settings?

To be absolutely sure can you run these tests to see whether no ports are unwantlingly open?

Edited by fozziebear, 23 January 2007 - 06:48 AM.

compuser1

compuser1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks guys. An ASP.net account was created for some reason. I deleted it and now everything is fine.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you're working :whistling:

Here's a link that explains how and why that user was created and ramifications of deleting it. You're probably okay :blink: